ABSDF DENOUNCES MILITARY FOR ARREST

Media Release
September 8, 1998

             ABSDF DENOUNCES MILITARY FOR ARRESTING NLD MPS

1. The All Burma Students' Democratic Front (ABSDF) denounces the
recent arrests of more than 110 Members of Parliament, officials
and youth leaders from the National League for Democracy (NLD) in
an attempt to stop the party's plan to convene a Peoples'
Parliament.

2. In particular, the ABSDF condemns the detention of elderly MPs
including 84 year old Thakin Khin Nyunt, and Myaungmya U Ba Swe
who is in his late 70s.

3. There are many other elderly senior politicians currently in
prison, including 82 year-old Daw Kyi Kyi; NLD adviser Thakin Ohn
Myint, 80; and Dr. Maung Maung Kyaw and NLD MP U Saw Oo Reh who
are both 70.

4. The recent arrests of NLD members show the fear and paranoia
of the Burmese military authorities. They also indicate the
growing awareness and support of the Burmese people for the NLD
in the wake of a series of demonstrations staged by students
since August 24.

5. We believe that the convening of parliament is a matter that
directly involves the people of Burma. With the NLD's
overwhelming win in the 1990 election and repeated United Nations
resolutions calling on the military to recognise the election
results, the regime must allow parliament to be convened.

6. Under the current circumstances, we believe that there is no
reason to continue asking the military for democracy and that the
only way forward is with a peoples' uprising. We therefore
reiterate our call to the people of Burma to begin a popular
moment to bring democracy to the country.

All Burma Students' Democratic Front (ABSDF)

For more information please contact 01-253 9082, 01-654 4984.