NCUB statment

<center>National Council of the Union of Burma

</center>

NCUB Statement regarding Arbitrary Arrest and Repression by SPDC

<flushright>September 8,1998

</flushright>The SPDC military leaders are once again accelerating the
moment of oppression and violence by mass arrest of the NLD leaders,
members of parliament-elect, the students and Buddhist monks. For that
reason, the NCUB would like to make a statement regarding the matter as
follows:

1. The opposition of the SPDC to the NLD's effort to convene parliament
of the people's representatives elected in May 1990 and through the
agency of it, to resolve the problems of the country, mean that it is
opposing viciously the will of people. For that reason, we the NCUB
strongly denounce this act of the SPDC.

2. Since the present arrest and persecution, again, of hundreds of NLD
leaders, members of parliament-elect. Buddhist monks and the students, by
the SPDC, are a deliberate creation of disturbances and disorder in the
country, we demand the SPDC to immediately stop these acts and release
all those it has arrested.

3. The SPDC's current acts of violence and repression show that the SPDC
is being weak. Accordingly, we urge all the students, Buddhist monks,
civil servants, political parties, people from all walks of life and
members of the Armed Forces to join hands with the NLD, and struggle
valiantly and unitedly for the emergence of parliament and the release of
all those arrested.