ABSDF: 15 Officers Arrested (r)

Re: ABSDF: 15 Officers Arrested
===============================

Dear colleagues and friends,

Thank you very much for the courage you all have shown in support to the
NLD party's movement to convene the parliament, the party that you all
have voted for in the May 1990 general elections. It's time to turn a
new leaf in the history of Burma. I know it will come to this one day.
Let's do our part right at the right time to bring about a democractic
rule in Burma.

In soliderity with the NLD's movements,

Minn Kyaw Minn
==============

>From notes@xxxxxxx Sun Sep 13 02:00:17 1998
>Date: 13 Sep 1998 01:44:38
>From: lurie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: ABSDF: 15 Officers Arrested
>To: Recipients of burmanet-l <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Media Release
>September 13, 1998
>
>15 Senior Military Officers Arrested for Planning to Meet With Suu Kyi
>
>Burma's State Peace and Development Council (SPDC) has arrested 15
senior
>military officers for planning to meet with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi,
according
>to military sources in Rangoon.
>
>The officers, including seven from the Army, three from the Navy and
five
>from the Air Force, have been accused by the SPDC of deviating from
>official policy on the current political situation.
>
>The officers were arrested in Rangoon on September 5. The group
includes
>six Colonels and a Lieutenant-Colonel from the Army, three Majors from
the
>Navy, and five Colonels from the Air Force.
>
>ABSDF Vice-Chairman Moe Thee Zun says the arrests do not represent the
>attitude of the rank and file.
>
>"We know that these officers were planning to discuss the political
>situation with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, and their actions show the growing
>desire by soldiers and officers alike for genuine political reform in
Burma.