NLD Statement 52 in English

Unofficial translation

-----------

National League for Democracy
No: (97/b) West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

Statement No: 52 (8/98)

1. The State Law and Order Restoration Council, now succeeded by the
State
Peace and Development Council, assumed power on 18/9/88. On 23/9/88 the
Defence Services Chief of Staff announced;

" We have formed a government with a small group of individuals with
many responsibilities to carry out the main functions that have to be
performed by a government and for the continuance of  diplomatic
relations so it is obvious that we have no intention to govern for a
long time. We respectfully make this promise to the monks and the people
of the nation with sincerity and good faith."

					Xxxxx

" We want you to bear in mind that we are sons of the Tatmadaw (army)
who have sworn allegiance to the country and are duty bound to serve the
people and we will not under any circumstances whatsoever break the oath
that we have taken."

					Xxxxxx

" Because we will be taking charge for a very short period we can not
attend to matters of health, education and social security. These are
long term projects and will be the responsibility of the party that is
elected into office at the multi-party elections."

					Xxxxx

" We again reiterate that as members of the armed forces we will revert
to our primary duty of defending the country for the security of the
nation and the rule of law after the transfer of power to a government
comprising the people's representatives who you will elect in free and
fair elections."

2. Law 4/88 (Political Parties Registration Law) was later promulgated
permitting genuine political activity by multi-parties to contest in the
general election in which the people could indicate their wishes in
selecting their representatives for the purpose of acting on their
behalf.

3. In order that a de jure government could be formed , SLORC, the de
facto government promulgated the Peoples Assembly Elections Law 14/98
and Rules 1/89, Peoples Assembly Elections Rules to provide rules
relating to the multi-party elections.

4. In addition, on 27/3/89 the Chief of Staff of the Defence Forces
specifically explained the role of the army and that of the new
government that would govern after the elections. His words were:-

" We anticipate that the new government will do its utmost to develop
the economy of the country as a matter of priority. As for us, the
members of the defence services, we will return to our barracks and our
former tasks. Our most important duty is to see that the Union does not
disintegrate, and to preserve and strengthen the sovereignty of the
nation."

5. In relation to the forming of a de jure government after the
elections, the Chief of Staff made the following statement on 5/7/89.

" In taking over the powers of the government today, I will not be doing
just anything that pleases me. I will act in conformity with the
regulations and will make a submission to the parliament when it is
created.  xxxxxx. I will transfer power according to law. Transfer to
the majority government. I consent. Do you want to draw up a new
constitution ? We well say , yes . U Nu, the ex prime minister, made a
statement at a press conference about the number of parliamentarians
etc. Yes, It is correct that power must be transferred if a certain
number of seats are obtained. We have nothing against that. If you can
form a group, do so. We have to transfer power. Which constitution will
you take? If there is a nation, there must be a government. It will have
to have a constitution. Which one will you recognise ? will you make
amendments? Other things? There are matters for the parties to consider.
xxxxxxx"

6. Again on 9.1.90 , the Chief of Staff made the following statement in
reference to the elections and the new government  that would be formed.

" We have repeatedly said that in relation to the governing power, you
can have it back after the elections in accordance with law. To make it
possible for such a government we will be holding elections. This is our
responsibility. According to law we will not be responsible for forming
a government after that. This is an undertaking that I make openly and
without any reservations."

xxxxxxxx

" A civilian government is only months away. There is no other way for a
civilian government to come into being except through elections. Only a
government formed through the process will be representative of the
majority of the people to fulfil their true and genuine desire."

xxxxx

Statement made by the Chief of Staff on 27/3/90 with reference to a de
jure  government are reproduced below-

" xxxx  To build up a democratic system, the only path is through
elections. I want to emphasize this point especially to the political
parties. Xxxxx"

xxxxxxx

" The importent things is that in this elections all of you can freely
choose individuals who are truly honest with a vision for the future
good for the entire country. Only then a stable government will
eventuate. Xxxxxx"

" Some people may say that the principal point is not the elections, but
the constitution and that power should be transferred to a temporary
government while a new constitution is down up. As far as this is
concerned do as you please. The tatmadaw's only promise is that we will
hold elections. Xxxx"

7. The above events, statement and promises made to the people cannot be
denied. This is historical and true evidence. People were led to believe
and rely on them. Ninety three parties were formed and 2296 individual
offered themselves as candidates in the elections. The people cast their
votes for candidates from these parties and independent candidates also.
>From the 485 constituencies, the National League for Democracy gained
392 seats. The people of Burma and the entire world recognised that the
elections were free and fair.

8. The United Nations General Assembly and the United Nations Human
Rights Commission have passed resolution noting that the results of
those elections have not been implemented . Those resolutions were
unanimous decisions made by  all  the member countries. Burma is a
member country and should adhere to such resolutions. Ignoring them
brings shame and disgrace to the country.

9. After the elections, the Chief of Staff made this statement on 3/7/90
with reference to the constitution.

"xxxxxx  What is to be done after the elections? A constitutions must be
written. This matter has been clarified by me on 5/7/89. SLORC will not
write the constitution. We have said this. We can not take the position
of an accused    xxxx"

" xxxxx It's a matter for the elected representatives of the people to
write the constitution xxxxxxxx"

10.	Secretary(1) of the State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC)
, now known as State Peace and Development Council made the following
statement at the 104th press conference.

"xxxx  SLORC will not draw up the constitution. It is the duty of the
peoples respresentatives to do that. We have made our position clear on
this issue. Now, those people who have been elected from the various
political parties and the representatives from the states and the
prominent political party must give priority and attend to this matter."

11. From the above statements it is very clear that the Peoples Assembly
that is created after the elections has the duty and the right to not
only write the constitution, but also to take on the three main branches
of the government which are the Legislature, the Executive and the
Judiciary. Secretary (1) also made the following statement at the 104th
press conference.

" The very fact that we have successfully conducted free and fair
elections as originally planned goes to show that we have no intention
of clinging to power. If we had the intention not to transfer power the
elections would never have been held."
                                           xxxxxxxxxxx

" Accusations that we do not intend to transfer power and that we cling
to it till the end of time are still being made. If we wanted to cling
to power till the end of time it was not necessary for us to exert all
our energy in holding elections as we have done. You should understand
that from the very start we had the desire to return power to the
people."

12. Authorised publications in the newspapers about the convening of
parliament and the duties of parliament are reproduced below;-

"xxxxx  When the next government is formed, the position of political
parties and matters relating to the election will be as decided by the
government.xxxxx"

                                            xxxxxxxxxxxx

"xxxxx  The State Law and Order  Restoration Council has no intention of
giving any directions regarding the process of writing a constitution.
That will be the task of the  peoples representatives to decide in
parliament."

                                              xxxxxxxxxxxx

13. Under the heading "Noble Intentions " was a passage that appeared in
the papers.

  " The State Law and Order Council had no alternative but to take
control and        assume the sovereign power that belongs to the people
because of its first concern for the preservation of the union, the
peoples living standards and their security.         It wants to return
this sovereign power to the people as soon as it possibly can."

14.	The reason for relating what the authorities said and the laws and
orders that were promulgated and the promises that were made is because
the above were the actions and statements of those responsible persons
who seized power. The State Peace and Development Council (SPDC) have
stepped into the shoes
of the SLORC and they are absolutely bound by what was said and done by
their predecessors. If they now cancel or rescind their promises and
obligations they will be placing the blackest spot in Burma's history
that can never be obliterated. They will have no credibility.

15. Therefore the National League for Democracy has repeatedly asked the
authorities to convene parliament in accordance with the Section 3 of
the Peoples Assembly Law because it wants to maintain a good record in
Burma's history.

16. But there has been no response whatsoever by the authorities. Now we
intend to convene the Peoples Assembly soon (comprising the elected
representatives of the people and states) in accordance with the
provisions of the Peoples Assembly Law and for the maintenance of the
rule of law. The primary task of the Peoples Assembly is to make laws
for the benefit of the people. Only by Acts of Parliament can laws and
matters relating to the Executive, the Legislature and the Judiciary
have the force of law.

17. After holding free and fair elections the de facto government has
continued for a long period of time to govern and is therefore faced
with grave problems in the political, economic  and social spheres.
Today we are faced with a crisis that will shape the country's future.
These problems can not be solved by abuse of power, arrest and
imprisonment of members of political organisations and elected
representatives of the people.

18. The time has come for the people's representatives to  make
decisions in accordance with the wishes of the people for the nation in
its present predicament and for its future. This can not be avoided. If
we turn away from this responsibility there can be very grave
consequences. Therefore, the individuals who have been empowered by the
people in the free and fair elections that were held have the right to
convene in accordance with the provisions of Section 3 of the Peoples
Assembly Law. This is why we made it known to all that all elected
representatives of the people and the states will convene and form the
Peoples Assembly.

Central Executive Committee
National League for Democracy

Rangoon