NLD Statement 58 in English

It is unofficial translation. The parties represented by U Aye Thar Aung
and the Constituencies are corrected.

---------------------

National League for Democracy
No: (97/b) West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

Statement No: 58 (9/98)

1. In the 1990 multi-party elections, the people ( from whom authority
is derived as is consistent with democratic principles) elected their
representatives and the government duly acknowledged their status by
official publication.

2. The Peoples Parliament must be convened following the elections as
prescribed by Section 3 of  the Peoples Parliament Law which
categorically states:-
"The Parliament must be convened comprising representatives elected in
conformity with this law".

3. Eight years have passed but the Peoples Parliament has not been
convened. On 25 May 1996, the National League for Democracy, conscious
of its duties was obliged to notify the authorities "to set a date for
the convening of  the first meeting of the Peoples Parliament (Pyithu
Hluttaw)". But that was completely ignored.

4. Again on the 23 June 1998, we urged and asked the authorities to
fulfil their promises and to act in accordance with the Elections Law by
convening the Peoples Parliament on or before the 21st August 1998.
Again we have been ignored. (Note- Our Statement 52(9/98) dated 11
September 1998 sets out in detail the promises and undertaking given by
the authorities.)

5. Failing to convene the Peoples Parliament amounts to turning a blind
eye to the peoples' will. The authorities have broken their promises
given to all the people, It is totally unacceptable and unjustifiable.
6. The responsibility to convene a Peoples  Parliament now devolves on
the National League for Democracy, political parties from the different
nationalities, other political parties, independents, and all elected
representatives so that the will of the voters and the people can be
fulfilled. We can no longer neglect this duty. We therefore announced
that we would convene a Peoples Parliament comprising all the elected
representatives of the people, This announcement does not contravene any
provisions of any law. (Note-See our Statement 50(9/98) dated 10
September 1998.)

7. At the function held by the National League for Democracy on 27 and
28 May 1998 commemorating the 8th anniversary of the 1990 General
Elections it  was resolved that:-
"This conference authorises its Central Executive Committee to set a
date for  the convening of the Peoples Assembly and to notify the
authorities accordingly".

8. After passing this resolution and after announcing that a Peoples'
Parliament would be convened , the authorities have taken action and
arrested up to this point a total of (195) NLD parliamentarians-elect,
and a total of (607) NLD organising committee members from all  levels
and other ordinary NLD members. We have received reports that
parliamentarians-elect from the nationalities  and other political
parties have been harassed, intimidated and threatened with arrest and
imprisonment to prevent them from attending if the assembly is convened.

9. It is very clear that todays' political, economic and social crisis
will not be solved by arresting and imprisoning, threatening and
harassing the peoples representatives. It is obvious that the
authorities are taking measures to prevent the operation of law and the
fulfillment of our obligation and duty to the people to convene the
Peoples Parliament.

10. Therefore, on behalf of the parliamentarians-elect, a committee
comprising the persons given here under has been formed. Out of 485
parliamentarians-elect, 26 have died and 459 remain. This committee has
been duly authorised by 250 parliamentarians-elect.

Chairman-	U Aung Shwe	 -MP-elect from No:1 constituency,
Mayangone township, Rangoon Division
Secretary-        U Than Tun     -MP-elect from No:2 constituency,
Taungtha township, Mandalay Division
Members
U Aye Thar Aung		-Representing the following:-
				Shan National League for Democracy
				Arakan League for Democracy
				Mon National Democracy Front
				Zomi National Congress
U TinOo		-Deputy Chairman, National League for Democracy
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi	-General Secretary, National League for
Democracy
U Lwin           -MP-elect, Constituency 1, Thongwa township, Rangoon
Division
U Hla Pe	-MP-elect from No:1 constituency, Moulmeingyun township,
Irrawaddy Division
U Soe Myint	-MP-elect from No:1 constituency, South Okkalapa township,
Rangoon Division
U Lun Tin	-MP-elect from No:1 constituency, Moulmein township, Mon State
U Nyunt Way	-MP-elect from No:2 constituency, Taungoo township, Pegu
Division

11. The first meeting of this committee was held today and necessary
resolutions were made.

Central Executive Committee
National League for Democracy

Rangoon