No Justice in Faking Political Asyl

Dear Myo Thant, Vun Som, and burmanet readers,
    While I understand Aung San Suu Kyi's quote, "We are prisoners in
our own country," that is really not the point of my argument.  There
are many people who suffer tremendously on the Thai-Burma border who
desperately need acceptance by a third country.  It is not fair that
many of the Burmese people (including SPDC relatives)who come to the
United States directly from Burma can receive political asylum when they
have never been involved in the democracy movement in their life.  These
people directly from Burma are simply interested in making money.  Most
of them, after receiving political asylum, stop attending demonstrations
and are not concerned with democracy and human rights in Burma at all.
    In addition, there are annual quotas on the number of people the
United States can accept for political asylum status from Burma.  Is it
fair that these people can use political asylum for their personal
financial gain while those who really need political asylum wither away
on the Thai-Burma border?  Is it fair that families with children who
have little food, no clothing or shelter cannot come to the United
States because some businessmen have taken their political asylum
status?  Is it fair that Burmese students who have been imprisoned in
Burma and dangerously risk their lives by escaping to Thailand where
they face further incarceration and possible repatriation by the Thai
police be refused for political asylum by the United States Government?
It's true that everyone is a prisoner in Burma, but we must understand
that people have different levels of danger.  If you are involved in any
demonstrations or organizations for democracy in Burma, you are
considered an enemy of the state by the SPDC.  You can be imprisoned,
tortured, and killed.  If you are regular person and do not have ties to
the democracy movement, your life is a bit easier.  You can leave the
country directly with a work permit, visa, etc.  If you are involved in
the democracy movement, you have to secretly escape the country and go
to another country where you always run the risk of being repatriated
back to Burma.
      In the case of Htun Aung Kyaw, he is not working to help any
Burmese people  but himself.  If he really cares about all the Burmese
people, why does he charge a fee for writing recommendation letters for
political asylum?  Why doesn't he write them for free if he is truly
concerned for the welfare of his own people?  Isn't this bribery?
     Futhermore, lying to the United States Government is a serious
offense.  Apparently he has falsified statements for over 200 political
asylee cases.  There is an FBI Investigation on his activities.  What if
we all wrote recommendation letters for anyone who paid us?  How would
the INS decide on which cases are legitimate  and which are pure
pretense?
      I don't think it's fair that only those who can afford it should
receive political asylum in the United States.  I think it's shameful
that people would justify Htun Aung Kyaw's selfish and illegal
activities.

Sincerely,
Than Win