Press Release of Myanmar Embassy (W (r)

Re: Press Release of Myanmar Embassy(Wasington DC) 14/98 and 15/98

Hi Okkar,

1. Do you think that the so called rally by over 20,000 local
   businessmen, entrepreneurs, merchants, traders, shopkeepers
   and ordinary citizens in Yangon today in support of the SPDC
   was a genuine one?

2. Why did the SPDC allow this rally to take place?

3. Would this not provoke the rest of the people of Burma to do the
   same for the NLD?

4. Does the SPDC want to see the rest of the people of Burma in
   turn rally behind the NLD and show their support to the NLD's
   effort to convene the parliament?

5. There is no credibility in any of the statements issued by the
   SPDC regarding the exchange of views by the NLD MPs and members as
   they were made while they were made under detention.

6. There is no credibilty in any of the statements issued by the SPDC
    on behalf of

       " The Shan National People's Liberation Organization
	The Karenni All People's Liberation Army
	The New Mon State Party
	The Kayan Newland  Party "

    that they have withdrawn all statements that might be
    misconstrued as supporting the NLD's movement to convene the
    parliament as they were attained after they have been
    threatened "on September 19, 1998, by Lieutenant Colonel Than Aye
    from th Military Intelligence Service (MIS), who handles the
    issues concerning cease-fire groups met in Rangoon with
    representatives from 6 cease-fire groups".

I regret to say this but it's been a "hard days and nights" for the
SPDC. There is no use in patching up like this on the run with the
bottom open for everyone to see. We are watching you SPDC!!

Minn Kyaw Minn
==============

>From notes@xxxxxxx Sat Sep 26 07:52:22 1998
>Date: 26 Sep 1998 07:12:53
>From: OKKAR66129@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: Press Release of Myanmar Embassy (Washington DC) 14/98
>To: Recipients of burmanet-l <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>                     EMBASSY OF THE UNION OF MYANMAR
>
>                                         WASHINGTON,  DC
>

>PRESS   RELEASE     15 / 98					24  September  1998
>

>National Races of  Myanmar Do Not Support the NLD's Call To Convene "
People's
>Parliament "
>
>NLD's Claim of Support Spurious
>

> The National League for Democracy ( NLD ) in a statement issued on 17
>September 1998 claimed that it had secured support for its decision to
convene
>a  "People's Parliament"  from 4 national groups that had concluded
peace
>agreements with the government. The NLD named the following groups :
>
>-	The Shan National People's Liberation Organization
>-	The Karenni All People's Liberation Army
>-	The New Mon State Party
>-	The Kayan Newland  Party
>
>However, the leaders of all 4 groups have addressed official letters to
the
>Chairman of the SPDC clarifying their stand regarding the NLD's call to
>convene a parliament. They reiterated their commitment to cooperate
with the
>governmentto achieve peace and development and confirmed that they have
>withdrawn all statements that might be misconstrued as supporting the
NLD's
>illegal move.
>
>The local populace in the areas concerned fully appreciate the dawn of
a new
>era of peace and  are wary of any move that will upset peace and
tranquility.

>Since the NLD's claim, that it has the support of the nationalities for
its
>efforts to convene the parliament this month could give rise to
speculation,
>the authorities have decided to make public the declarations received
from the
>leaders of the national groups. In their declarations the leaders
underline
>their support for the government's efforts for peace and stability and
reject
>the decision of the NLD to convene the parliament.
>
> The following declarations have been published :
>
> 1.	Letter dated 5 September 1998 from Za Khun Ting Ring, Chairman,
Kachin
>Special Region (1), New Democratic Army-NDA
>
> 2.	Letter dated 18 September 1998 from U Mahtu Naw, Chairman, Central
>Military Commission, Shan / North Special Region No. 5 Kachin Defence
Army-
>KDA
>
> 3.	Letter dated 18 September 1998 from the Central Committee, Shan /
North
>Special Region No. 1, Mon Koo Region Defence Army
>
> 4.	Letter dated 18 September 1998 from U Eik Hmon, Chairman, P.S.L.A
Peace
>Group
>
> 5.	Letter dated 19 September 1998 from the Chairman, Central Executive
>Committee, Shan / North Special Region No.3, Shan State Army ( S.S.A )
>
> 6.	Letter dated 19 September 1998 from  U Phon Kya Shin, Chairman,
Shan
>/North Special  Zone No. 1, Kokang
>

> 7.	Letter dated 19 September 1998 from U Sai Lin, Shan / East Special
>Region No. 4
>
> 8.	Letter dated 19 September 1998 from Pha Do Aung San, Leader, Kayin
Peace
>Group
>
> 9.	Letter dated 19 September 1998 from Central Executive Committee,
>Democratic Kayin Buddhist Army - D.K.B.A
>
> 10.	Letter dated 19 September 1998 from U Htay Ko, Chairman, Kayan
National
>Defence Army
>
> 11.	Letter dated 20 September 1998 from the Chairman,  Special Region,
>Thandaung (KNU)
>
> 12.	Letter dated 20 September 1998 from U Saw Thamu Heh, Comander,
Kayin
>Peace Group, Haung Tharaw Special Region ( KNU )
>
> 13.	Letter dated 21 September 1998 from General-Secretary, S.S.N.A.
>
> 14.	Letter from Pao National Organization, Shan / South Special Region
No.6