Bangkok Post News (2/10/98)

Rangoon tells UN members to mind their won business

Burma's foreign minister told the United Nations on Wednesday that the
world had no right to interfere in his country's internal affairs when the
military government had chosen the path of democracy.

But as U Ohn Gyaw addressed the 53rd General Assembly, Denmark sponsored a
news conference of the country's democratic opposition which warned that
``time was running out'' for the junta and called on the United Nations to
combine global sanctions with diplomatic mediation.

``We will not be sitting down and taking it easy just because we are
calling for a dialogue,'' said Dr. Sein Win, prime minister of the
provisional government in prime minister in exile of Burma.

Ohn Gyaw, in his address, spent little time defending Myanmar's polices,
which have been the subject of annual General Assembly resolutions on human
rights abuses.

He said, however, that ``we are much distressed that there are those who
would like to use the United Nations to intervene in matters that are
essentially within our domestic jurisdiction.''