Declaration on attitude of Kayin pe

Declaration on attitude of Kayin peace group of Haungthayaw Special Region in
connection with acts of National League for Democracy

Date: 20 September 1998

Subject: Attitude of Kayin peace group (Haungthayaw Special Region) in
connection with acts of the National League for Democracy

1. Despite the successive governments' endeavours to reconsolidate national
unity through various ways, as national unity had disintegrated for years and
the national brethren resorted to armed struggle that resulted with awful
consequences to the State and national peoples, success was not achieved.
National unity could be rebuilt only in the time of the Tatmadaw government
and peace maintained. But it was not made so easily. It was the rare peace
achieved through various difficulties. Due to the peace thus restored, it is
evident that the border regions have now witnessed social and economic
progress and uplift of social standard.

2. We learn that NLD is organizing to convene a Hluttaw, that the party's acts
are purported to undermine peace and stability and disintegrate the Union and
that the party's declarations and perpetrations might cause suspicion between
nationalities group and the Tatmadaw government and disrupt peace. As the
party's activities may cause a great danger to the nation, our organization
never ever supports that party's acts.

3. We believe that the Tatmadaw government is making on-going steps for
practising discipline-flourishing democracy after consolidating national
unity. Besides, as we believe that the Tatmadaw government is marching on the
correct path for the nation, our organization announces that we will work in
cooperation with the Tatmadaw government.

Sd U Saw Tha Mu He
Commander
Kayin Peace Group
Haungthayaw Region, Kayin State