CEASEFIRE GROUPS:CLAIMS AND COUNTER

/* Written Mon 5 Oct 6:00am 1998 by drunoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma
& maykha-l */
/*---------------"Ceasefire group on NLD"------------------- */

THE CEASEFIRE GROUPS SUPPORTS ON NLD
**************************************
Recently, there have been claims and counter claims made for by
SPDC/SLORC sources on Internet about the ceasefire groups supports
for NLD and its efforts to convene parliament. BurmanetNews also
reports about the Burmese army has been threatening all the
ceasefire groups not to make the statememt of support for
the NLD. Can sombody findout whether this may be in contradiction
with the promise made by the junta when ceasefire negotiations
were struck. As I remember, when the junta reps. come and talk
to KNU to enter ceasefire, they said "there would be no politics
(including participation in Constitution writing ?), but only
military ceasefire & regional development". Has this been the case
for KIO and NMSP ? As we know, the arrangement for the 1989
Ceasefire groups (The WA's; former CPBs) were all together
different: those WA's were put in national convention meetings
stage-managed by the junta.

SPDC/SLORC sponsored national convention being hit twice. First,
the NLD has boycotted that convention process at the end of 1995.
The other one is Mae-Tha-Raw-Hta agreement in which the
participating ethnic minority groups denouncing that convention.
After that, the junta appear to have lost its plot for the
convention: we haven't seen any movement on NC, including the
sacking of its chairman in November 1997. Anybody has details
on those, please send to the net. Many thanks.

With best regards, U Ne Oo.

/* Endreport */