Indian Express (Nov 25, 1998)

Wednesday, November 25, 1998

People

----

Suu Kyi's call
Myanmar Opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi refused to drop her demand for a
meeting of an elected parliament, in her first public appearance for two
months. ``We are not going to withdraw our call to convene parliament,'' she
said at a briefing attended by diplomats and journalists. ``We cannot accept
such a precedent that an election that was declared to be free and fair was
held and ignored simply because the authorities did not like the result,''
she said.

Nobel Peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy (NLD)
won a landslide election victory in 1990 but the military government has
refused to relinquish power. The junta has rounded up hundreds of NLD
activists in recent months and is holding them in government `guest houses'.

Scores have resigned from the party after their release. NLD leaders say
they were coerced into leaving by military intelligence. The Government said
activists may not be able to leave the `guest houses' until the NLD drops
itsparliament call.

The Indian Express