KHRG #98-08 Part 2 of 6: Pa'an dist

Subject: KHRG #98-08 Part 2 of 6: Pa'an district

                    UNCERTAINTY, FEAR AND FLIGHT

    The Current Human Rights Situation in Eastern Pa'an District

       An Independent Report by the Karen Human Rights Group
               November 18, 1998     /     KHRG #98-08

*** PART 2 OF 6 - SEE OTHER POSTINGS FOR OTHER PARTS OF THIS REPORT ***

[Some details omitted or replaced by 'xxxx' for Internet distribution.]

                         Forced Relocation

"They called a meeting of all the village headmen.  They said that when
we finish our harvest we must move to their place.  If we don't want to
stay with them, they gave us the choice of going wherever we want to
stay.  The Burmese told the DKBA and then the DKBA told us.  They're
forcing all the villages in Meh Pleh Toh area to move:  Meh Pleh Toh,
Sgaw Ko, Kwih Lay, Toh Thu Kee, all the villages.  They want to force
us out as soon as possible.  They said that if we stay in our village, we
will become targets for their guns, and if we go where they order, it will
be to their place. ? If we went to their place we couldn't do anything,
we'd have to survive by selling snacks or something.  I couldn't do it.  In

my village I had a farm with fields.  I had enough land to grow all our
food every year.  Now I want my field back, because if we can't eat rice
then we can't survive.  But this year I only had the chance to plant 2
baskets of seed paddy in my field.  All of us who fled left many of our
things behind in the village.  Some villagers left their cattle and
buffalos,
because we fled in fear.  All the paddy we had planted will just be taken
by the Burmese.  We just gathered what we could and came here,
though my mother and father are still back in the village."  - "Pa Weh
Doh" (M, 47), Taw Oak village, southern Pa'an district (Interview #14,
8/98)

Current SPDC practice throughout Karen regions is to forcibly relocate all
villages which they do not or cannot easily control.  This includes
villages
which they believe give food to KNLA units or where KNLA units simply
pass through, villages which are too far from an SPDC Army camp to be
constantly watched and patrolled, and villages which consistently fail to
comply with SPDC demands for forced labourers and extortion money.
As part of its program to consolidate control over Pa'an district, over the

past 3 years SLORC and SPDC have sporadically conducted forced
relocations in a few areas.  Facing continued KNLA guerrilla activity
based in the Dawna Range and penetrating westward into the plains,
between November 1996 and March 1997 the SLORC forcibly relocated at
least 10 villages along the western side of the Dawna to Army camps and
sites along the forced labour roads, where the villagers were then used
intensively for road-building labour.  These villages included Bee T'Ka, Ta

Ku Kraw (which was burned), Kwih Pa Taw, Noh Law Bler, Tee Hseh
Ker, Naw Ter Kee, Kaw Per Nweh Ko, Kwih Sgheh, Tee Baw Blaw and
Ler Dah, several of which are major villages; Bee T'Ka alone has 300
households.  [For further details on these relocations see "Abuses and
Relocations in Pa'an District" (KHRG #97-08, 1/8/97).]  However, rather
than undermining the KNLA, these relocations actually removed the
'shield' of Karen civilians from the SLORC troops, and after one
particularly heavy KNLA attack on SLORC troops at Bee T'Ka, the Army
began ordering the villagers to return to their villages.  Many villagers
didn't dare obey, fearing intensified abuses, and scattered to towns or
into
the hills.

In southeastern Pa'an district there have also been localised forced
relocations over the past two to three years in attempts to undermine
KNLA operations in the area, though some of these have only been carried
out temporarily or half-heartedly.

"Last year, they only forced our village to relocate to Ker Ghaw.  They
gave us three days to go, but when we bribed them they allowed us to
stay.  We didn't want to go so we collected money, 15,000 Baht of Thai
money, and gave the money to them and they allowed us to stay one
more year."  - "Pi San San" (F, 50), Taw Oak vill., south Pa'an district
(Interview #18, 9/98)

However, forced relocation is increasingly becoming the cornerstone of
SPDC military practice throughout Burma, and in mid-1998 the Army
appeared to become much more serious about forcibly relocating villages
in southeastern Pa'an district as well as those further north in the Dawna
Range.  In the southeast, the DKBA called all village heads in the area to
meeting in Ker Ghaw in the middle of rainy season, at which they
announced an SPDC order that all villages will be forced to move to Kwih
Lay, Sgaw Ko or Ker Ghaw as soon as rice harvest is finished at the end of
this year.  Villages which will be forced to move include Taw Oak, Meh
Pleh Toh, Toh Thu Kee and other villages not directly controlled by the
SPDC; the complete list is unclear, because some villagers believe that
Sgaw Ko and Kwih Lay will be forced to move, while others believe that
these villages will be used as relocation sites.  At the meeting the DKBA
stated that villagers will be able to move anywhere they want as long as
they leave their villages, but that anyone who remains in the relocated
villages "will be in our gunsights".  This time it appears that the SPDC
and
DKBA intend to fully implement the forced relocation.  The reason they
have given such early notification may have been to encourage the
villagers to start moving out now, and this is having its desired effect.
Many villagers have already fled Taw Oak, Sgaw Ko and other villages in
the area while they can still choose where to go, rather than wait for SPDC

soldiers to drive them out at gunpoint.

"?both the Burmese and the DKBA said that after we finish our
harvest they would force us to relocate to Htee Wah Blaw K'Waw Bu.
They said that if we ran to the jungle they would sweep us up like a
broom.  The commander of the DKBA, Thein Shwe, said, 'If we see you
in the jungle when we come, you will be in our gunsights.'"  - "Pi San
San" (F, 50), Taw Oak village, southern Pa'an district (Interview #18,
9/98)

"I heard from some people that the Burmese and DKBA would build a
camp between Pah Klu and Loh Baw, and that after 7 months they will
order the villagers to bring all of their rice to the villages [from their
paddy storage barns and field huts] and leave their villages.  They said
that the villagers can go and stay anywhere that they want to go in
Thailand or Burma, but that anyone who won't leave their village will
be forced to go to Kwih Lay, Sgaw Ko or Ker Ghaw."  - "Naw Kler" (F,
21), Taw Oak village, southern Pa'an district (Interview #10, 8/98)

"They haven't forced the villagers from Htee Wah Blaw to relocate, but
I've heard that they will force the villagers from Loh Baw and Pah Klu
to relocate to Htee Wah Blaw."  - "Pi Wah K'Paw" (F, 60), Htee Wah
Blaw village, southern Pa'an district (Interview #20, 9/98)

"They told us we'd have to move to a relocation place.  They didn't say
where.  They just said that after rainy season they'll drive away all the
villagers.  So as soon as we had a chance we fled.  If we'd waited until
they drive the villagers away, it wouldn't be easy to flee because then
they'd keep us all under guard."  - "Naw Lah Say" (F, 25), Taw Oak
village, southern Pa'an district (Interview #12, 8/98)

Some of the villages in Myawaddy and Kawkareik townships of
southeastern Pa'an District have already been served with a written
relocation order from SPDC Light Infantry Battalion #104.  A copy of the
original order in Burmese as it was received by one village is included on
page 41 of this report.    The following is a direct translation of the
order:

			        Front Line Light Infantry Battalion No. (104)
 	 			  Pah Klu village
 				  Ref. No.  104 / 02 / Oo 1