TOTAL/PetroFina "Big Move" (r)

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your comments. I mainly wrote in reply to the assertion of
dawn star that 'companies would much rather do business with dictators
than with democratic governments'. I think this statement is false. As
you state below, what companies want almost above anything else is
stability which will enable them to undertake long-term planning. That is
why I emphasized established democracies to prove dawn star's statement
false. In some cases, strong dictatorships can be more stable than
fledgling democracies. In this I agree with you. However, even the
strongest dictatorship always comes to an end. Thus I think my claim that
the greatest stability is provided by established democracies is valid. I
don't think you will disagree with me there.

I will now reply to your specific points raised below.

Kevin Rudiger wrote:

> Neil,
> with all due respect, I think you contradict your own argument.      Your
> second paragraph says:
> "there will always be a few rogue companies who will do business in an
> unethical way and be tempted to sacrifice principle and take higher risks by
> the promise of an exceptionally high return."   You are saying that
> companies which do business with dictatorships do so because of the "promise
> of an exceptionally high return."   But your first paragraph argues that
> companies will make more profit with democratic governments.

I don't think I contradicted myself. I said there will always be a few
rogue who will do business in an unethical way which would not be
acceptable to more responsible companies. Such rogue companies would
accept the climate of bribery and corruption endemic in many
dictatorships, and may even approve of such practices. Most responsible
companies (which I would consider to be in the majority) would demand
more ethical business standards and prefer to work within a more
stringent legal framework and would pass up dodgy business opportunities
in more risky countries. It is the companies with higher business
standards that will thrive in the long term.

So I am saying that companies have greater security of profit in
democratic countries but that some rogue companies will be attracted by
the lure of potentially higher profits of more risky projects. It is all
a matter of where the company feels comfortable on the risk-reward
spectrum (higher risk also implies greater risk of failure). It is
possible for investments to lose money. About 200 billion dollars of
foreign investment recently disappearing down a black hole of theft and
corruption in Russia is a prime example of that. Anyone who thinks Total
and UNOCAL are not risking money in Burma is being naive.

> While stablity is useful for companies, dictatorships are often quite stable
> environments for companies to invest in.    And they don't have to bother
> with messy things like environmental laws, labor laws, high taxes and
> organized labor pools to deal with.      Take the history of Latin America
> (as well as other areas of the world) where the CIA and the US military,
> often at the urging of US corporations, repeatedly overthrew democratic
> governments and installed dictatorships.    If dictatorships are such
> unpleasant environments for companies to do business in, then why would the
> United Fruit Company and other corporations push to overthrow democracies.

I hope we both agree that we are talking about a minority of businesses
here, and that we are not trying to tarnish all business by the actions
of a few. That may be consistent with Marxist dogma but it is hardly
realistic.

Yes, the CIA did unpleasant things in the past to protect American
investments. It was largely part of the Cold War and involved a larger
ideological struggle. However, I will mention in passing that the right
to own property is enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
(article 17 I think) and that extreme left-wing governments which attempt
to seize all private property are violating the human rights of the
owners. I personally do not consider those who promoted the spread of
communism to have human rights on their side. However, this discussion is
moving away from the statement of dawn star and the actions of Total in
Burma.

> Similarly, with Total and UNOCAL, having a dictatorship in Burma is very
> convenient.    How else would they get such a ready supply of forced labor,
> have villages relocated on demand for their pipeline, have virutally no
> environmental laws and have such a high rate of profit?

This is a much more relevant point. I am no expert on the Total
involvement in Burma. However, I will make a few comments.

As far as I know Total and UNOCAL are building a pipeline to carry gas
from Burma to Thailand. There is nothing in principle wrong with this,
unless of course you are prejudiced against private companies for
political reasons or against the exploitation of natural resources for
environmental reasons.

The next questions I would ask are: Are Total and UNOCAL directly
responsible for the use of forces labour and relocation of villages? Or
is the SPDC responsible for these violations of human rights? Does Total
and UNOCAL admit any responsibility for the use of forced labour or
support its use? Have they ever condemned such practices?

What is Total's motivation in building the pipeline? Are they building it
with the intention of supporting the military regime? Are they building
it to aid the development of a third-world country? Are they building it
as a normal commercial venture? I would suspect that it is primarily the
last of the three (despite implied accusations by others that it is
primarily the first). Are they breaking any laws, national or
international, by constructing the pipeline? If the NLD, and Aung San Suu
Kyi, came to power, would they immediately call a halt to the
construction of the pipeline or its closure if the gas had already
started flowing? I would suspect not, since the revenues produced would
be greatly welcomed by the new government to aid the reconstruction of
the country. Total and UNOCAL may even be praised for the contribution
they were making to improving the Burmese economy. But they would just be
doing what they are doing now ......... building or operating a pipeline.
Nothing that they are doing would have changed (provided responsibility
for the human rights abuses lay with the SPDC that had been removed from
power).

Of course, if Total and UNOCAL are directly responsible for the human
rights abuses, then condemn them and demand that they change their
practices. If the SPDC are responsible for the abuses, then pressure
Total and UNOCAL to put pressure on the SPDC to end such practices and
pay fair wages for the work done. However, think more carefully before
you condemn Total and UNOCAL simply for building a pipeline. Such
criticism would be for political reasons because you don't like the
regime in power in the country. As I wrote above, if the NLD gained
power, the pipeline could be seen as of great benefit to Burma and Total
and UNOCAL to be thanked for building it.

A reasoned case can be made that the best method of improving the human
rights situation in Burma is to attempt to improve the economy even if
this does have the unfortunate consequence of providing financial support
to the military regime, but I won't go into that here. However, I think
some of harshest critics of Total should decide which of their criticisms
are rational, which are emotional, and which are political.