TOTAL/PetroFina "Big Move" (r)

On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, Neil McDougall wrote:

> I have no doubt forced labour has been used on the project, though I
> doubt if anyone knows the true extent. Estimates have probably been
> exaggerated (or underestimated) for political reasons. I also have read
> that a US State Department report found no evidence for the practice
> (though maybe they didn't want to find any). Anyway, have no doubt, I
> condemn the use of forced labour.

The Dept. of Labor report was written with the cooperation of the State
Dept., and relies heavily on State documents to reach its conclusion that
the preponderance of evidence supports the conclusion that forced labor
was used.  I'd urge you to check the report at:
http://www.dol.gov/dol/ilab/public/media/reports/ofr/burma/main.htm

> If Total and UNOCAL do not have the responsibility for the hiring of
> labour or of overseeing the working conditions, I do not consider them to
> be equally responsible for the abuses as those who do have the direct
> responsibility. I have still have not had a satisfactory answer to my
> question about who has the control over the hiring of labour and the
> working conditions.

Both a federal court judge, and a number of leading business ethicists
have addressed this question, and found that the oil companies CAN be held
liable (says the judge) and MUST accept reponsibility (say the ethicists).
The DOL report bluntly confronts Unocal lies on this issue.  Unocal
claimed that the workers were "hired" only by Total.  But on site, Total
admitted that the workers were "hired" by SLORC battalians, battalians
apparently responsible for numerous human rights violations, and the
report ends up finding credible the numerous claims by refugees and other
researchers that these "hires" were forced.

LD