Statement by Helle Degn

Statement

	by Helle Degn, Former Danish Minister of International Development
Co-operation, President of OSCE-PA, Chairman of the Foreign Policy
Committee in the Danish Parliament, Member of the Council of Europe,
Chairperson of PD Burma

Copenhagen Thursday 10th 1998

We are today celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Universal
Declaration on Human Rights adopted by the United Nations. The
Declaration on Human Rights has since the adoption represented the
fundamental principles of freedom, justice and peace.

On this day it is our plight to remember those countries where these
basic principles of human rights are infringed. In several countries,
regional and local conflicts are finding place, conflicts which are
violating the inhabitants of these countries.

In Burma there is a continuing fight against the fear and suppression
that prevail in the country. It is, however, not possible to stop these
democratic forces inside Burma. The respect for democracy and human
rights go hand in hand. Both these principles have to be fulfilled in
order to find peace in Burma.

PD Burma would like to urge all people to think of the Nobel Peace
Laureate of 1991, Aung San Suu Kyi, who is fighting an indefatigable
struggle for the recognition of democracy and human rights in Burma.
Today, we find torchlight processions all over the world, and the light
that Aung San Suu Kyi represents in our hearts will never be
extinguished.