News:

SPDC continues pressure on SNLD and SSA

Reports coming in from Shan States indicated that the Shan Nationalities
league for Democracy (SNLD) that won the most seats in the Shan States
during the 1990 Elections is being pressured to release a statement
denouncing the NLD's "Committee of Ten" (CRPP)..

So far most of the 20 ceasefire groups and 10 political parties have been
forced to issue statements in line with the junta policy. However, the
biggest Shan party and one ceasefire group, the Shan State National Army
led by Gunyord, have so far not "followed orders"..

"What can we do? if we followed their wishes, then we would be against
those of our own people" said one SSNA officer.

The SNLD had reportedly confirmed that they would attend the Parliament "if
it is called by the NLD" to the junta's notorious Military Intelligence
Service. "They want the SNLD to back off from their stand" said the source,
"but the party says it would need to hold a Central Committee meeting to do
that, and, given the circumstances, it is difficult to fill a quorum"..

The SSNA also known as the Shan States Army Central, meanwhile is being
deprived of its former privileges such as buying rice at a "government
price".

The SSA Southern led by Yawdserk that has no ceasefire agreement with the
junta has issued statements in favor of the CRPP.

S.H.A.N.
// END //