The Salween Dam_ an upcoming realit

Subject: The Salween Dam_ an upcoming reality?:

News coming from the border have increasingly confirmed that the
multi-billion dollar project to build the Salween Dam in the Shan States
might be a reality soon, said a source in Chiangmai.

The Thai Company, MDX, sent its representatives two months ago to negotiate
with the Shan States Army that is reported to be active within the
periphery of the dam site which is 40 km upstream from Tasang Crossing,
between Shan States' Mongpan and Mongton townships. The Shans have
reportedly allowed the company to conduct a survey along the basin. "But
for the actual construction, we can only agree after we have consulted with
the NGOs and our own people," he said.

The project, reported to be sponsored by a Japanese financial institution,
has caused some worry among the environmental NGOs. "There should be no yes
to any construction before a thorough socio-environmental impact assessment
has been made," warns a Shan NGO, Shan Youth in Exile.

Another NGO, Green November 32, brought attention to the fact that the Mons
were "conquered" by allowing the Yadana Pipeline to go ahead. By doing so,
they had virtually permitted the Burmese troops to station along the
construction areas in force that subsequently put the Mon resistance into
submission. "They may be repeating the some strategy against the Shans,"
said Steve Thompson, the GN's spokesman.

In fact, it has been speculated by some border watchers that the Thais may
be working hand in hand with the Burmese junta in order to remove the Shan
resistance from the construction area. The expected dry season offensive
against the SSA of Yawdserk in the New Year is believed to be connected to
the dam project.

A Thai colonel, who refused to be identified, flatly denied when the
question was put to him by S.H.A.N.  "That's business", he said. "We are
only concerned with national security."

S.H.A.N.
// END //