Bangkok Post News (20/12/98)

News Headlines:

1: Confrontation remains in western disputed zone
2:  Asian states agree to boost cooperation

1: Confrontation remains in western disputed zone

The area is only 32 square kilometers

Three years have passed since the beginning of the stand-off between Thai
and Burmese troops in a 32-square-kilometre disputed area on Doi Lang in
Mae Ai district of Chiang Mai. And there is no sign that the confrontation
is coming to an end, as Bangkok and Rangoon have not yet entered
demarcation talks.
On the peak of Doi Kiew Hung, some 775 Thai soldiers from an army battalion
have been posted in six areas to ensure security in the disputed zone on
the Thai side.
At each of these six points, a large Thai flag is erected to declare the
sovereignty of Thailand over the land. Several small cottages are there for
Thai troops to use as their living quarters and strongholds to keep a close
watch on Burmese soldiers and to gather military information.
Military operations at Doi Lang cost the army almost ten million baht per
month or some 100 million baht a year, according to an army source.
According to the commander of the 3rd Cavalry Regiment's special task force
Col Akradet Songworawit, all Thai soldiers there must follow orders and
discipline strictly to avoid doing things which may spark hostilities with
Burmese troops, as Doi Lang has become a "sensitive" area.
"We must carry out our military mission. Bur personally, we must keep our
relationship (with Burmese troops) as Burmese and Thai soldiers are good
friends. The disputed area is only 32 square kilometres. But we cannot give
up as it means our dignity. That's why we are here," he said.
According to him, both sides know each other's moves using binoculars to
see what the other side is doing from their strongholds.
"For this reason, we must be careful and not do anything to provoke the
Burmese troops or cause misunderstandings that we will resort to weapons to
solve the problem. Thai soldiers are forbidden from standing on hills
carrying guns. They must keep watch in bunkers or trnches, of there will be
misunderstanding." Col Akradet added.
A shift of both Thai and  Burmese soldiers posted at Doi Lang lasts four
months to allow them to relax, he said.
According to Col Akradet, Thai troops in the disputed area are, in fact,
outnumbered by Burmese soldiers as five Burmese battalions led by Col Seng
Khoo have been posted deep into the border to support one Burmese battalion
a Doi Lang.
However, the two sides are not confined to eyeball-to-eyeball confrontation
all the time. Thai and Burmese soldiers sometimes meet as friends during
sepak takraw matcher and dinners while talks by unit commanders are
frequently held.
However, all of their contacts must be with the permission of the
authorities without the use of alcoholic drinks and drugs to prevent
disputes or brawls.
Thai troops have also agreed to buy food supplies and seek medical
treatment for Burmese soldiers of requested.
"Burmese soldiers usually ask us to buy food for them because we can access
markets more easily than they can. It is about humanity. We treat each
other as neighbours," Col Akradet said.
"As soldiers, we have duties to carry out here to protect the sovereignty
and dignity of the  country.
I insist that the relationship of Thailand and Burma is good. But we must
distinguish between the relations and military missions and must be careful
about everything because both sides have weapons and are so near that there
may be misunderstanding or accidents," said Lt-Col Sanchai Jooman,
commander of the 138th Cavalry Battalion.
The confrontation between Thai and Burmese troops at Doi Lang began when a
number of Burmese soldiers, who were deployed to take over Doi Huay Ha from
the defeated Mong Tai Army (MTA) late in 1995, allegedly encroached on the
ridge of Doi Huay Ka, or Doi Lang which was claimed by Thailand as its
territory.
After the encroachment, the Thai army set up a special command task force
under the 7th Infantry Regiment on Doi Kiew Hung to guard the disputed area
since January 2, 1996.
Since October 1, 1998, a special task force of the Third Cavalry Regiment
has been working as an operations unit.
According to Col Akradet, the border dispute was caused by the use of two
different maps by Thailand and Burma.
Burma has used a map of 1958 (from the survey of October 19, 1911) which
marks the border along Doi Pha Hom Pok, Soi Maklang, th ridge of Doi Lang,
Doi Lak Teng, Doi Lak Taeng and Doi Laem.
Theiland has used a map of December 1986 which marks the border along Doi
Pha Hom Pok, Doi Maklang, the ridge of Doi Huay Ha, and Doi Leam.
However, the situation is undr control due to an agreement between Bangkok
and Rangoon which requires Thai and Burmese troops to work in the disputed
area in peace and try their best to avoid conflicts, prohibits more
military deployments to the area, and authorises only the Thai-Burmese
border demarcation technical committee to seek resolutions, he said.

2:  Asian states agree to boost cooperation
'Proposal to be implemented soon'

Junior ministers from Bangladesh, India, Burma, Sri Lanka and Thailand met
in Dhaka yesterday to discuss cooperation in trade, energy, tourism and
communications.
"The meeting reached consensus on a number of proposals for economic
cooperation, which would be implemented soon," Abul Hasan Chowdhury,
Bangladesh State Minister for Foreign Affairs told reporters after the meting.
The five countries around the rim of the Bay of Bengla formed the
sub-regional  grouping in 1997.
The meeting discussed areas of cooperation in trade, sharing of energy
development of transportation and tourism facilities, Vasundra Raje, Indian
State Minister for External Affairs, told the joint news conference.
"The trade imbalance with India can be turned in Bangladesh's favour by
importing gas and other resources in energy sector," she said.
Bangladesh has plenty of natural gas and attracted huge foreign investment
in the sector.
Foreign Minister Abdus Samad Asad, opening the day-long conference, said
the private sector of the member countries should take the initiative of
investment in priority sectors like trade, tourism, energy, and road and
rail communications.
"The private sector will be a primary vehicle for channeling cooperation,
while the respective governments will play a supportive role," he said.
Burma is totally committed to work together in the grouping for economic
development including construction of roads to link the country with member
states, U Khin Maung Win, deputy foreign minister of Burma said.
He said a road was being constructed to link India with Myanmar. Bur to
connect Bangladesh with a 112-km road, some 200 bridges over creeks and
rivers would need to be built.
"The challenges and pressures imposed on the Bay of Bangal rim countries
could be averted with regional cooperation for which Sri Lanka was fully
committed, Lakshman Kiriella, deputy foreign minister of Sri Lanka said.