NLD Statement 3(1/99)in English

National League for Democracy
97/b West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

STATEMENT- 3(1/99)

Note- Addendum to Statement 98(11/98)

1. Maung Moe Myint was one of those who was recruited to supply forced
labour for the transformation of virgin soil for agricultural purposes
which is situated on the other bank of Annya-su village (Rangoon
Division, Htantabin township, Katoot village-tract).
2. On the 29 October 1998 while working the project, he was bitten by a
poisonous snake and sent to the General Hospital in Rangoon (Japanese
Hospital). The authorities resented the fact that we had publicised this
matter and spitefully discharged him from the hospital on 11 December
1998 before he had fully recovered.
3. When he visited the hospital for further treatment, he was refused
all medical assistance but was given Kyats 1500/- and the authorities
washed their hands of further responsibility.
4. It is not fair and just to disclaim responsibility at a stage where a
person has not been fully cured. Therefore we ask that the responsible
authorities be directed to administer appropriate medical treatment to
the individual and wish to register our disapproval of the actions of
those concerned in this matter.

Central Executive Committee
National League for Democracy