select1 /the Pattern of Shut Downs. (r)

Subject: Re: select1 /the Pattern of Shut Downs......

To Chao-Tsang Yawnghwe

Dear Eugen,

To understand the strategy of the current SPDC attempt to damage the NLD,
split the Party from the non-Burman ethnic groups, and ultimately drive it
underground, it is very helpful to make analyses such as yours. However, as
you know better than most, the "closure" (the NLD says they are not legally
closed) of the NLD branches is only one of the tactics being used, though
it may be the most important for the day-to-day functioning of the Party.
In addition, apart from the long-standing harassment of Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi and her close colleagues, some of whom are serving long terms in
prison, there is the holding of NLD hostages -- both MPs-elect and party
officers, the forced and falsified "resignations" of NLD members and the
statements various ethnic groups have been required to make criticising the
NLD.

I have squished the previous figures together, done a bit of arithmetic,
and offer the results here. There are a number of other considerations such
as population density, strategic and economic factors, the possibility of
wiping out all the NLD branches in a given area (e.g. Arakan, which
returned only 8 NLD MPs in 1990. Does anyone know if there are any NLD
branches left in Arakan? I imagine that once a branch is "closed", the SPDC
will not be excessively cooperative in helping it to open again) which may
also enter into SPDC strategy in its offensive against the NLD. There is
also the major element of opportunity.

Some of the figures suggest further questions, e.g. why are there so many
guesthoused officers from Mon State? Why the large number of "resignations"
in Irrawaddy and Pegu? Why the relatively light treatment of Mandalay
compared with Rangoon, etc.

Best wishes,

David Arnott (Burma Peace Foundation, Geneva)

*******************

GEOGRAPHIC BREAKDOWN OF THE VARIOUS TACTICS BEING USED TO DAMAGE THE NLD

RANGOON DIVISION
Guesthoused NLD MPs 29  (number elected in 1990 59)
Guesthoused NLD officials 345
NLD branches closed 2
Members and officials "resigned" 282

SAGAING DIVISION
Guesthoused NLD MPs 28   (number elected in 1990 53)
Guesthoused NLD officials 10
NLD branches closed 3
Members and officials "resigned" 563

PEGU DIVISION
Guesthoused NLD MPs 25  (number elected in 1990 48)
Guesthoused NLD officials 47
NLD branches closed 4
Members and officials "resigned" 1715

MAGWE DIVISION
Guesthoused NLD MPs 23   (number elected in 1990 39)
Guesthoused NLD officials 13
NLD branches closed 0
Members and officials "resigned" 218

IRRAWADDY DIVISION
Guesthoused NLD MPs 23   (number elected in 1990 49 )
Guesthoused NLD officials 43
NLD branches closed 2
Members and officials "resigned" 3349

MANDALAY DIVISION
Guesthoused NLD MPs 22   (number elected in 1990 55)
Guesthoused NLD officials 56
NLD branches closed 1
Members and officials "resigned" 325

TENASSERIM DIVISION
Guesthoused NLD MPs 6   (number elected in 1990 13)
Guesthoused NLD officials 2
NLD branches closed 5
Members and officials "resigned" 48

SHAN STATE
Guesthoused NLD MPs 18   (number elected in 1990 22)
Guesthoused NLD officials 7
NLD branches closed 8
Members and officials "resigned" 267

MON STATE
Guesthoused NLD MPs 11   (number elected in 1990 17)
Guesthoused NLD officials 122
NLD branches closed 4
Members and officials "resigned" 101

ARAKAN STATE
Guesthoused NLD MPs 3   (number elected in 1990 8)
Guesthoused NLD officials 10
NLD branches closed 10
Members and officials "resigned" 111

KAREN STATE
Guesthoused NLD MPs 4   (number elected in 1990 10)
Guesthoused NLD officials 3
NLD branches closed 1
Members and officials "resigned" 4

KACHIN STATE
Guesthoused NLD MPs 1   (number elected in 1990 14)
Guesthoused NLD officials 8
NLD branches closed 2
Members and officials "resigned" 94

CHIN STATE
Guesthoused NLD MPs 0  (number elected in 1990 3)
Guesthoused NLD officials 0
NLD branches closed 2
Members and officials "resigned" 31

KARENNI STATE
Guesthoused NLD MPs 0  (number elected in 1990 4)
Guesthoused NLD officials 0
NLD branches closed 0
Members and officials "resigned" 0

**************************

ANTI-NLD STATEMENTS BY VARIOUS NON-BURMAN ETHNIC GROUPS

These statements were orchestrated in response to the support the NLD's
Committee of 10 (CRPP)  was receiving from a number of ethnic organisations
and alliances.

If anyone has an afternoon or so to spare, cuddle up with the "Unity is No.
1" website

http://www.twics.com/~yangon/unity.htm

where you will find a number of statements by ceasefire groups:

Subject: Attitude of the ........ in connection with the NLD (National
League for Democracy)'s call for convening of the Hluttaw

The ones I looked at seemed to be from the same template. There may be some
variations, but I didn't have the patience to sit through the painfully
slow-loading pictures of jolly ethnic dancers, heroic Tatmadawmen and the
Senior General's words of wisdom in "Leaders" magazine, to get to all the
texts.