Update 1/20/98: Defend the Mass. Bu

Subject: Update 1/20/98: Defend the Mass. Burma Law!

NEW ENGLAND BURMA ROUNDTABLE
Update 1/20/98: Defend the Mass. Burma Law!

January 20, 1998

PLEASE CIRCULATE THIS ACTION ALERT TO OTHERS!

In This Action Alert:

1. Update & Background on the Mass. Burma Law
2. What To Do If You Live Outside Massachusetts
3. What To Do If You Live in Massachusetts
4. List of State Attorneys General

1. Update on Lawsuit Against MA Burma Law - January 20, 1999

On January 22, the Indiana Attorney General's office will circulate an
amicus brief to all state Attorney Generals. This amicus - or
friend-of-the-court - brief will be filed in federal appeals court in
support of the Massachusetts Burma selective purchasing law.

Short Deadline: January 29!

Your state's Attorney General has only until **January 29** in which to
sign on to the amicus brief. It is critical that we continue to Fedex, fax
and call our state attorneys general over the next week.

The Indiana Assistant Attorney General overseeing the amicus brief is John
Laramore. Ask your state Attorney General's office to contact Asst. AG
Laramore directly at (317) 233-4386. (Just give this number to your state
AG's office. Don't call him yourself. He'll be very busy!)

Background

On November 5, 1998, Federal District Court Judge Tauro struck down the
Massachusetts Burma selective purchasing law. In his ruling, Judge Tauro
concurred with the arguments of the corporate-funded National Foreign Trade
Council (NFTC) that the Massachusetts Burma Law is unconstitutional.

Inspired by similar South Africa selective purchasing laws, 23 American
citieshave enacted laws that bar municipal purchases from companies that do
business in Burma. If the NFTC succeeds in its case against the
Massachusetts Burma Law, it could render unconstitutional any selective
purchasing enacted to support in human rights and the environment,
including those already on the books with regard to Burma, East Timor,
Nigeria, Northern Ireland, Tibet and the purchase of rainforest woods. It
would devastate our rights as citizens to direct how our elected officials
spend our tax dollars.

The Massachusetts Attorney General Scott Harshbarger has appealed Judge
Tauro's ruling. Attorney General Harshbarger has also sent a formal request
to the attorneys general of the other states asking them to sign on to an

amicus - or friend of the court - brief in support of the Massachusetts
Burma Law. January 29 is the deadline for signing on to the amicus brief.

We can help defeat these attacks on selective purchasing laws by
encouraging our states' attorneys general to strongly defend these laws.
Please ask your state attorney general to sign on to the amicus brief in
support of the Massachusetts Burma Law. Make sure you send your letter well
before the deadline of January 29.

Please find a sample letter below and a list of state attorneys general and
their addresses. Thank you for your support!

Simon Billenness
* for the New England Burma Roundtable *
Franklin Research & Development
711 Atlantic Avenue, Boston, MA 02111
(617) 423-6655, x225
(617) 482-6179 - fax
sbillenness@xxxxxxxx

2. What To Do If You Live Outside Massachusetts: Write Your Attorney General

It is vital that we tell our state attorneys general to sign on to the
amicus brief by January 29.  Please adapt the letter below and send it to
your Attorney General.

** Sample letter **

I am writing to urge that you defend one state's sovereignty, so that [your
state] will continue to be able to exercise its ability to defend and
protect our rights and values.

[Include a paragraph describing yourself and your roots in the local
community.]

On November 5, Federal District Court Judge Tauro struck down the
Massachusetts Burma selective purchasing arguing that it was an
unconstitutional infringement on the federal government's foreign policy
powers. Sponsored by state rep. Byron Rushing, the Massachusetts Burma Law
effectively bars companies that do business with the Burmese military junta
from receiving state procurement contracts.

How Massachusetts - or any state - spends its tax dollars is matter for the
citizens of Massachusetts and their elected officials. It is a violation of
state sovereignty and local democracy for the federal government or
corporations to try to micro-manage state or local spending.

Inspired by the campaign against apartheid in South Africa, Aung San Suu
Kyi, the Nobel Peace Prize laureate and leader of the Burmese democracy
movement, has called for economic sanctions on Burma to press the ruling
military junta to restore democracy in that country. She has described
selective purchasing laws - such as the one enacted in Massachusetts - as
an effective means of supporting the Burmese democracy movement.

I urge you to contact Massachusetts officials and offer the support of your
office in the fight to defend the Massachusetts Burma selective purchasing
law. I specifically urge you to contact the Massachusetts Attorney General
to sign on to an amicus brief in support of the Massachusetts Burma Law
that will be filed in Federal Appeals Court on January 29.

I look forward to your support on this critical issue. Please tell me what
action you intend to take.

Sincerely,
--------------------------

So that we can gauge the effectiveness of these action alerts, please send
a copy of your letter to:

Simon Billenness
New England Burma Roundtable
Franklin Research & Development
711 Atlantic Avenue, Boston, MA 02111
(617) 423-6655, x225
(617) 482-6179 - fax
sbillenness@xxxxxxxx

3. What To Do If You Live in Massachusetts

It is important that the new Massachusetts Attorney General Thomas Reilly
hear from Massachusetts voters who support the Massachusetts Burma Law. The
Boston Herald urged Reilly to abandon the case. We need to ensure that he
will defend the Massachusetts Burma Law with the same vigor and
determination as the previous Attorney General Scott Harshgarger.

Suggestions for your letters:

-  Describe your deep roots in your community and tell him you vote!

-  You believe that elected Massachusetts legislators and officials should
decide how to spend Massachusetts taxpayers money, not large corporations

-  Citizens of cities and states have the right to express their moral and
political beliefs by denying taxpayer-funded contracts to companies that do
business with dictators

- Note that the previous Attorney General Scott Harshbarger has mounted a
strong defense of the Massachusetts Burma Law in Federal District Court

- Urge Attorney General Thomas Reilly to also strongly defend the
Massachusetts Burma Law by following through with the appeal of Judge
Tauro's decision

Attorney General Thomas Reilly
Office of the Attorney General
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
One Ashburton Place
Boston, MA 02108
(617) 727-2200
(617) 727-3251 - fax

So that we can gauge the response to this action laert, please send a copy
of your letters to:

Simon Billenness
New England Burma Roundtable
Franklin Research & Development
711 Atlantic Avenue, Boston, MA 02111
(617) 423-6655, x225
(617) 482-6179 - fax
sbillenness@xxxxxxxx
4.  List of State Attorneys General

Alabama
Honorable Bill Pryor
Attorney General of Alabama
Office of the Attorney General
State House
11 South Union Street
Montgomery, AL 36130
PHO:(334) 242-7300
FAX: 334-242-7458

Alaska
Honorable Bruce M. Botelho
Attorney General of Alaska
Office of the Attorney General
Post Office Box 110300
Diamond Courthouse
Juneau, AK 99811-0300
PHO:(907) 465-3600
FAX: 907-465-2075

Arizona
Honorable Janet Napolitano
Attorney General of Arizona
Office of the Attorney General
1275 West Washington Street
Phoenix, AZ 85007
PHO:(602) 542-4266
FAX: 602-542-4085

Arkansas
Honorable Mark Pryor
Attorney General of Arkansas
Office of the Attorney General
200 Tower Building, 323 Center Street
Little Rock, AR 72201-2610
PHO:(501) 682-2007
FAX: 501-682-8084

California
Honorable Bill Lockyer
Office of the Attorney General
P.O. Box 944255
Sacramento, CA 94244-2550
PHO: (916) 445-4533
FAX: 916-323-5341

http://caag.state.ca.us/

Colorado
Honorable Ken Salazar
Attorney General of Colorado
Office of the Attorney General
Department of Law
1525 Sherman Street
Denver, CO 80203
PHO:(303) 866-3052
FAX: 303-866-3955

Connecticut
Honorable Richard Blumenthal
Attorney General of Connecticut
Office of the Attorney General

55 Elm Street
Hartford, CT 06141-0120
PHO:(860) 808-5318
FAX: 860-808-5387

Delaware
Honorable M. Jane Brady
Attorney General of Delaware
Office of the Attorney General
Carvel State Office Building
820 North French Street
Wilmington, DE 19801
PHO:(302) 577-8600
FAX: 302-577-6499

Florida
Honorable Robert A. Butterworth
Attorney General of Florida
Office of the Attorney General
The Capitol
PL 01
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1050
PHO:(850) 487-1963
FAX: 850-487-2564

Georgia
Honorable Thurbert E. Baker
Attorney General of Georgia
Office of the Attorney General
40 Capitol Square, S.W.
Atlanta, GA 30334-1300
PHO:(404) 656-4585
FAX: 404-657-8733

Hawaii
Honorable Margery S. Bronster
Attorney General of Hawaii
Office of the Attorney General
425 Queen Street
Honolulu, HI 96813
PHO:(808) 586-1282
FAX: 808-586-1239

Idaho
Honorable Alan G. Lance
Attorney General of Idaho
Office of the Attorney General
Statehouse
Boise, ID 83720-1000
PHO:(208) 334-2400
FAX: 208-334-2530

Illinois
Honorable Jim Ryan
Attorney General of Illinois
Office of the Attorney General
James R. Thompson Center
100 West Randolph Street
Chicago, IL 60601
PHO:(312) 814-2503
FAX: 312-814-5024

Indiana
Honorable Jeffrey A. Modisett
Attorney General of Indiana
Office of the Attorney General
Indiana Government Center South
Fifth Floor
402 West Washington Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204
PHO:(317) 233-4386
FAX: 317-232-7979

Iowa
Honorable Tom Miller
Attorney General of Iowa
Office of the Attorney General
Hoover State Office Building
Des Moines, IA 50319
PHO:(515) 281-5164
FAX: 515-281-4209

Kansas
Honorable Carla J. Stovall
Attorney General of Kansas
Office of the Attorney General
Judicial Building
301 West Tenth Street
Topeka, KS 66612-1597
PHO:(785) 296-2215
FAX: 785-296-6296

Kentucky
Honorable Albert Benjamin "Ben" Chandler III
Attorney General of Kentucky
Office of the Attorney General
State Capitol, Room 116
Frankfort, KY 40601