SHAN DEMOCRATIC UNION STATEMENT: IN

Subject: SHAN DEMOCRATIC UNION STATEMENT: INTERPOL MEETING IN RANGOON:

1 February 1999.

No.1/199

SHAN DEMOCRATIC UNION STATEMENT: INTERPOL MEETING IN RANGOON

We are flabbergasted and dismayed, as are decent people everywhere, by
the irresponsible behaviour of the Interpol in holding its annual
narcotics conference in Rangoon, the seat of an illegitimate regime which
has colluded with drug kingpins and are their partners in laundering
profit from the narcotics trade.
It is incredible that the Interpol is unaware of the Rangoon regime's
well-documented drug connections and involvement in laundering drug
money. No doubt Interpol is aware of the documented facts of the matter.
Its convening of a narcotics conference in Rangoon must as such be judged
as propelled by an agenda that is totally unrelated to narcotics
suppression or any concern with the evils of narcotics. It is a
transparently political ploy, and a very cynical one at that, aimed at
white-washing the narco regime in Rangoon. Interpol's decision to hold a
narcotics conference in Rangoon is not only disgraceful, but simply
obscene. It is an act of moral rape against humanity.

We therefore welcome the decision of the government of Denmark not to
attend the conference in the narco capital of Southeast Asia, Rangoon. We
hope that more governments will follow Denmark's example.

We call upon the United Nations to censure the Interpol, and appeal to
the United States and other governments who have spend billions of
taxpayers hard earned money to stem the outflow of drugs from Burma, to
boycott the ridiculous conference.

We also hope -- hope against hope -- that senior Interpol officials will
regain their common sense and cancel the conference, and moreover hope
that they will look into who is responsible for choosing Rangoon, the
narco capital of the region, as the site for such and important
conference, and the reason why.

SHAN DEMOCRATIC UNION/SDU
Shan States
January 29, 1999.