NLD Statement 18 In English

National League for Democracy
NO (97/B), West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

Statement NO: 18(2/99)

1.  We have been informed by those whose concern is that the news
published on the 22 January 1999 by the authorities making out that the
NLD Orgnising Committee in Gwa township, Arakan State had been dissolved
on the 19 November 1998 is false. Neither individually nor collectively
did any NLD member express the desire to quit nor was any meeting held
to get a consensus.

2.  Township NLD organising chairman U Sein Kyaw has been imprisoned.
The deputy chairman had only been released from imprisonment. Action
under the restrictive movement law has been taken against the Secretary
and Hluttaw representative U Nyi Pu. Joint Secretary U Soe Lay is under
detention pending enquiry.

3.  The League's signboard was forcibly removed by Township Police
Station Officer U Maung Maung Lay and his group under instruction from
his superiors.

4.  Though the League's signboard has been forcibly removed and members
have been illegally arrested, pressured and coerced and movements
restricted all the members including the chairman, secretary and joint
secretary have not quit up to date. Therefore we declare that the Gwa
Township NLD Organising Committtee still exists as a lawful
organisation.

Central Executive Committee
National League for Democracy