CHRO News

///////////////////////

RHODODENDRON NEWS BULLETIN
CHIN HUMAN RIGHTS ORGANIZATION
50 Bell St. Ottawa, ON K1R 7C7, Canada
Tel/fax 613 234 2485 Email: chokhlei@xxxxxxxxxxx
/////////////////////////////
----------------
Volume II No 2                   					February 1999
---------------

CHIN PEOPLE HAVE TO SUPPLY ARMY RATION

Commander of Burma Army North Western Command Brig-Gen Sein Win  issued
an order to the battalions commanders in Chin State- Light Infantry
Battalion (LIB) 538, LIB 309, Infantry Battalion (IB) 274, IB 266, IB
268, IB 269  to collect ration from the Chin people whenever they need.
A troop of a hundred soldiers from BI 307 (Katha battallion based) and
BI 274 are stationed at Lungler army camp in Thantlang township. They
have collected as much meat, rice and vegetables as they want from the
villagers because the government could not provide them with any food.
According to the troop, they were given permission to collect the food
by higher authorities.
Major Myint Aung from BI 307 and Lungler army camp commander from 274
issued the order to the nearby 29 villages to deliver 4- big chickens,
2-viss of fish or pork, 2 legs of deer or any other wild animal and
vegetables. The villagers have to deliver the orders to the army camp or
where the patrolling troop is posted by fixed time. Sometimes the
soldiers impose a fine of Kyats 1,000 to 1,500 for late delivery or if
they claim the food is not fresh. They also demand the villagers buy
alcohol from Thantlang which is a 3 day walk from the village.
The villagers do not have time to work in their farms because the are
busy hunting, fishing and buying alcohol for the soldiers. While they
are struggling for their daily lives, they have to feed the army camp.
Consequently, the villagers are extremely disappointed and are waiting
for the opportunity to flee to Mizoram in India.
An ordinary soldier?s wages is Kyat 500 per month. However, these
soldiers are getting Kyats 3,000 per month and therefore, are enjoying
their
lives with added food deliveries from the villagers. Because they are

able to use the villagers as their slaves, they are happy with the SPDC
government are extremely loyal to it. They are also given power to
oppress the civilians by higher authorities to maintain a stable power
base.

INTERVIEW WITH VPDC CHAIRMAN
(CHRO had interviewed a village  chairman who is under Lungler army
command in Thantlang township.)

Pu Lianthang (name changed)  is 36-years old and has two children. He is
a respected person in the village. Although he does not want to serve as
the village chairman under the SPDC, upon requests by the villagers, he
is serving as chairman of (ommitted) Village Peace and Development
Council in Thantlang township.

Q.  How is your relationship with the SPDC army? Could you tell us about
it?
A.  SPDC?s army and government give us the orders. And I, the chairman,
and the villagers have to follow accordingly.

Q.  Could you tell us what kind of orders are given?
A.  The most amoral man we ever met is Major Myint Aung from IB 372. One
of his orders was that 15-villagers had to do sentry duty every day.
Counting the number of the villagers, each person has to do sentry duty
3-days per week and so have no time to do our own work.

Q.  Could you not explain these problems or make requests to the Major?
A.  To make a request to military personnel, I need  at least Kyats
20,000 and a pig. We have nothing  right now. If I go without money, I
will be accused of acting the army and be beaten. Therefore, at this
time,I cannot  make any request.

Q.  Why do you think they give these kind of orders?
A.  He knows that we can not carry out his order. He purposely gives us
orders which we cannot carry out. Then, he expects us to bring him
money, pigs, and /or liquor for his reconsideration. I think that?s why
he gives us these kind of orders.

Q.  Any other kind of orders?
A.  There are a lot more. They order us to bring them 4- big chicken, 2-
viss of fish or pork, 2-thighs of deer or wild pig ( or any wild animal)
and fresh vegetable to the army camp ( Lungler village) every week, not
later than the time they fixed.

Q.  What do you think why they order like this?
A.  I think, because the government could not provide them . That's why
we are being suffered.

Q.  What will happen if you do not give them?
A.  Do not mention the word 'not giving'. If we  bring them the orders
an hour later than the time they fixed, we would be imposed a fine.
Sometimes  they even fine us, complaining the food we bring  them were
not fresh.

Q.  How much you pay for a fine and to whom you pay it?  And what they
use it for?
A.  It depends on how big the village and financial standing of the
villages. They know the financial standing of the villages around   this
area. They frequently impose a fine the villages with a good financial
standing. They put a fine on the poor villages when they do not have
money to buy alcohol drinks. Usually they impose a fine from Kyats 1,000
upto 5,000. We have to pay it to Major Myint Aung. When his absence, we
pay it to in charge of camp commander. When they get the money, they
send two or tree villagers  to Thantlang which is  3 days walk  far from

our village to buy alcohol drinks. They never pay anything for it . They
have to incur travel expenses by themselves.

Q.  Did you write a complaint to the higher authorities?
A.  Major Myint Aung told us that he has the instruction from the higher
authorities  to get anything they want from remote villages where there
is difficulty of transportation.  That's why I don't want to make any
complaint. I think that they are real beggars, they  have no a shame to
beg from others.

Q.  Do you have anything more to say?
A.  On 15 July, 1998, the Department of Land Taxation issued an order
prohibiting us from doing our traditional cultivation. The order stated
that every household has to complete 3 acres of terrace cultivation and
give a Kyats 1,500 deposit to the Land Taxation Department. Whoever
fails to pay a deposit will be faced with severe action.

Q.  Is there anyone who has knowledge of how to do terrace cultivation
and how did you start it?
A.  No one know how to do it. According to the order each household had
to complete 3-acres but we had no  money for a deposit. For that reason,
on 24 April, 1998, I went to Thantlnag Township Land Taxation Office and
made a request to U Hoi Ling that we did not have the sufficient funds.
This request meant paying them Kyats 30,000 which I collected from the
villagers. Afterwards, we were allowed to continue with our traditional
cultivation practices.

Q.  Could you please share with us your feelings and thoughts?
A.  I think, the soldiers have been begging in an unfair manner from the
people because the government cannot provide them with sufficient
resources. The more they can make begging, the more excess materials
they can get, and therefore, the more the honor the government. I think
the authorities are trying to build up their own power and maintain
stability through these soldiers. I believe, if every country person
selflessly acts against a group of authorities, this government will
definitely be demolished. However we can not give up our ?self? easily
because we must struggle for our daily lives. That is why people are
being made to suffer.

MONEY FOR PAGODA FESTIVAL

In order to hold Utalin pagoda festival in1998, SPDC army battalion 538
commander Lt.Col. Saw Thun ordered Chin Christian villages such as
Pathiantlang (A), Pathiantlang (B), Ramri, Arakan, Pinte, Hemate,
Hemapi, Sia Oo, Para to pay Kyats 5000/- and 3- mats per each village
before November 10, 1998.
Pastors and evangelists went to  the area commander Maj. Zaw Tun Tin and
beg him to reconsider the order because it is unusual for Christian to
pay money for others? religion activities. The Major replied them that
the money is to hire a play for the festival and the Christians will
also watch the play. If you don?t pay the money, action will be taken
seriously upon the the villagers and  will suffer. The villagers can?t
do anything but to obey the army and pay the money.

RELIGIOUS PERSECUTION

Regime blocked centennial celebration of christianity in Chin State.
Cross destroyed, pastors interrogated in acts of continuing Chistian

persecution.

Burma?s military regime has stepped up its persecution of the Chin
Christian community which is celebrating the Centennial of Christianity
in Chin areas of Burma. Chin pastors are being interrogated and
Centennial celebration in Haka, the capital of Chin State have been
postponed by the regime at least until April.
Chin Christian sought to celebrate their Christianity Centennial from
January 1-3,1999 at Thantlang, another city in the Chin State of Burma.
The Centennial marks the arrival of American missionaries Rev. Carson
and his wife Laura Carson in 1899. On January 5,1999 when the
celebration in Thantlang was over, citizen  of the town posted a
Centennial memorial cross at the top of Vuichip Hill near Thantlang. The
Burmese military from Thantlang ordered the citizens of Thantlang to
remove   the cross they had erected atop the hill. After the citizen
refused to removed the cross, soldiers pulled it down and destroyed it.
Six Christian pastors from Thantlang, Rev. Thawng Kam, Rev. Biak Kam,
Rev. Thantu, Rev. Tha Ceu, Rev. Cung Bik and Rev. Beauty Lily were then
taken away from the town and interrogated.
In protest, the whole of Thantlang?s citizenry stage a general strike
prayer service and fast at local churches or in their homes the
following day (January 6,1999). In retaliation, the military cut all
telephone lines to Thantlang and summoned 20 pastors and church leaders
from various denominations for interrogation.
On January 9, 1999 churches around Haka joined the protest by holding
prayer services. Military officers from Haka told church leaders that if
they wanted to put the memorial cross again, they have to apply to the
Home Minister in Rangoon. The Military has also ordered the postponement
of Centenial celebrations in Haka until april.
The Burmese military is systematically persecuting Christians in Burma
and seems intent on "cleansing" the country of its Chin population. Well
over 90% of the Chin population in Burma is Christian.

UNCERTAINTY TO CELEBRATE CENTENARY

The uncertainty of celebrating the Chin Christian Centenary to be held
in Haka, the capital of Chin State, is reported from inside Burma to
CHRO as follows:
"It is likely that we are not going to have the Centenary Celebration"
Rev. Tialkap said. The military personnel in Haka said, as Tialkap
quoted, " Your celebrating seems like it is going to be very elaborate.
We cannot give you permission to have the celebration because some
foreign guests are also invited. You have to seek the permission from
the Ministry of Home and Internal Affairs". Rev. Tialkap told CHRO
yesterday (3rd of Feb?99) that a request is being made to the Ministry
of Home and Internal Affairs. If the application is turned down, they
will proceed by approaching the General Secretary-1(Khin Ngunt). If the
General secrectary-1 persists in refusing them, there?s no prospect of
celebrating the Centenary.
Although the Centennial Celebration Committee tried to negotiate with
military personnel in Haka before approaching the Ministry of Home and
Internal Affairs, to see if they would consider not inviting the foreign

guests, their attempts were in vain.

VILLAGERS THREATENED WITH LAND-MINES

CHRO has received a report that Non-Commissioned Officer (NCO) from IB
274 Lungler camp, Thantlang town ship are roaming around villages,
threatening to plant land mines on the main roads and surrounding areas.
When the villagers plead against this, the army demands money from them.
Soldiers from IB 274 are using this tactic to get money from the
villagers.

ARMY OR BANDIT?

In Thantlang township,villagers from Bungkhua and surrounding villages
used to go to Mizoram, India, which is a days walk, to sell their goods
(domestic animals etc,.). On their return, they would buy their daily
basic necessities instead of going to Thantlang town, which is 4-day
walk from the area. In the rainy season, however the villagers have a
diffculty to cross over the Tiao river. Therefore, for the
travellers?convenience, the villagers requested Ngunding from Bungkhua
village to provide the service of his paddle row-boat. Ngunding agreed
to the arrangement and built a hut near the river which sold snacks and
tea. The travellers used to rest at the hut.
On 16 July 1998, a military troop led by Serg. Tun Lin from IB 307, came
to the place and threatened the people by firing off their guns. When
the hut dwellers ran away, the following items were stolen by the
troops.

Rice	5- full baskets	@ kyats	1,500	=	kyats7,500
Blanket	2- pieces	@ kyats	1,200	=	kyats1,200
Pots	1- piece	@ kyats	1,000	=	kyats1,000
A knife	1- piece	@ kyats	1,200	=	kyats1,200
Chickens	2- birds	@ kyats	700	=	kyats   400
Seasoning	1- packet	@ kyats	450	=	kyats   450
Cooking oil	1/2-bottle	@ kyats	175	=	kyats   175
Milk	3- packet	@ kyats	420	=	kyats1,260
Sugar	3-kg	@ kyats	210	=	kyats   420

They forced a villager to buy some of the stolen rice for kyats 1,000.
To date, the rest of the stolen items have not yet been sold.

MONKS AND SPDC'S SOLDIERS UNITE FOR ONE PURPOSE

Rev. Biakthang (name changed) is a missionary who was sent by the Lautu
Christian Association of Thantlang township to Ann town in Arakan State.
Rev. Biakthang?s wife unfortunately passed away in October 1996. In
November,1998, he left the mission center for Thantlang to attend the
Lautu association mass meeting. While he was away, his house was burgled
jointly by monks and soldiers. They even dug out his wife?s gravestone
and destroyed the stone inscription. In his letter to a friend in
December, he wrote "Though I was called by the military office, after
interrogations I was released without harm". He also mentioned in his
letter that some evangelists sent by Church of Jesus Christ  who work in
the area were beaten badly by Buddhist monks together with soldiers.

KYATS 20,000 PER VILLAGE TRACK FOR ARMY HQR SCHOOL

In June 1998 SPDC issued the order to close down all self supported
private schools in Chin State.  While ordering to close down self
supported private school in Chin State, the SPDC army forced Chin
villagers to pay for construction of army Headquarters School.
Lt. Col Saw Thun, the commander of LIB 538  ordered 18 villages that
under the command of Sinletwa army camp in Paletwa township has to

contribute 18-ft. long  400  poles of bambo and 100 cubic feet wood to
construct Battalion 538 Headquarters School before November 15 1998. The
army warned and threatened  the villagers that they had to pay three
times if they could not meet the requirement before the dead line.
It was harvesting period and the villagers were  busy with their farm
works. When they pleaded to the army for forgiveness, the battalion
commander told them to pay Kyat 20,000/- per each village tract. There
are 6-village tracts.

Please visit

http://www.angelfire.com/nf/chokhlei/index.html
for our previous issues.