Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's speech on Un

Subject: Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's speech on Union Day

National League for Democracy
NO (97/B), West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

Address given on the Union Day (Fifty Second Anniversary) by Daw Aung
San Suu Kyi, General Secretary of the National League for Democracy

	Today- 12 February 1999- is the fifty second anniversary of Burma's
Union Day. It was on this day fifty two years ago that our national
leaders signed an agreement at Panglong to join together for the
attainment of  our independence. That is why the Pangong Agreement forms
the foundation stone of our Union. The spirit and essence of the Union
is derived from this agreement.

        The Panglong Agreement was not the product of compulsion on
anyone by any other person or group. Our founding fathers came together
as equals, and after a process of harmonious discussion put their
signatures to the document. These leaders understood fully the futility
of applying force, coercion and intimidation in the interest of a noble
cause for the country. Only in the spirit on which the Pangong Agreement
was reached can we establish a genuine democratic Union Of Burma.
Subjugation, oppression, persecution and annihilation will never be
beneficial but can even result in peril to the Union. It can create
misunderstanding and division amongst us brothers and sisters of our
different nationalities.

       Only  a genuine democratic Union can guarantee equality for all.
In its political activities, the National League for Democracy is fully
conscious of the fact that all the issues regarding the nationalities,
the union and all natives of the country are linked to the cause of
democracy and can not be separated. Only a democratic People's
Parliament which is the outcome of the true wishes of the people can
implement the genuine will of the people. This is why convening of the
People's Parliament is of concern to all citizens, all the nationalities
(ethnic groups) and the cause for democracy.

        The cooperation between all organisations, nationalities
included, to convene the People's Parliament is a very good omen for our
country. Despite the difficulties, intimidation and diverse persecution.
the unity and cooperation of all the nationalities, standing firm and
undaunted as comrades is gratefully acknowledged and applauded by us on
this the 52nd anniversary of our Union Day.

Rangoon