NLD Statement 21(English)

National League for Democracy
NO (97/B), West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

Statement NO: 21(2/99)

The petition dated 5 February 1999 addressed to the Chairman of the
State Sangha Maha Nayaka Order by the Chairman of the National League
for Democracy is published for information.

START

" Revered Sayadaw.

I respectfully place these facts before you on behalf of the National
League for Democracy and the Central Executive Committee.

The reason for this petition relates to Kyakan Abbot, Chairman of the
Taungtha township Sangha Nayaka Order who on 30 December 1998 at 1600
hours summoned U Than Myint, Chairman of the NLD Township Organising
Committee through a personnel of the Immigration department.

I have been informed that on his arrival at the monastery, the Abbot
instructed U Than Myint to resign from his position as chairman and to
dissolve the township NLD and that if he did not comply he would face
grave consequences. This is not appropriate because it amounts to
interference through religious measures in political issues.

The National League for Democracy is a legally constituted political
body whose objective is to work for the good of the country. It
rightfully claims to be the people's political party by virtue of the
fact that the vast majority of the people ( who incidentally are the
donors of the four essential requirements of the clergy) voted for NLD
candidates as their representatives in the 1990 General Elections.

Moreover, we respectfully reiterate that the NLD is not a political
party that "uses religion for political gain" which  is a prohibition
embodied in the law. Similarly, honourable members of the Sangha should
practice the precepts pertaining to politics as prescribed by the Lord
Buddha in the Scriptures.

I respectfully entreat you to judge whether the political activities of
the Taungtha township Sayadaw is appropriate as prescribed in the
Scriptures and to admonish him accordingly. I respectfully submit that
in your esteemed position as Chairman Sayadaw of the State Sangha Maha
Nayaka Order, you instruct and admonish the Sangha Nayaka Sayadaw at all
levels (State, Division, Township) to behave and obey the precepts and
discipline prescribed in the Scriptures to prevent any untoward
happenings in the future. Up to date I have made submissions in respect
of Sinbaungwei and Yesagyo townships in Magwe Division.

I pray that your reverend person and all the Sayadaws enjoy health and
happiness both in mind and body and may the gospel preached by our Lord
Buddha spread far and wide to benefit all mankind."

END

Central Executive Committee
National League for Democracy

Rangoon