Birth film wins top television awar

Subject: Birth film wins top television awards

Media Release
February 21, 1999

Birth wins top honors in Central New York's television awards ceremony
Birth: Voices from the 1988 Uprising in Burma, a documentary recounting
the events of the nationwide demonstrations for democracy and human
rights in Burma, won the Best Documentary and Best Public Access Program
in the 14th Annual Time Warner Cable PEGASYS Awards for Television
Excellence.  Birth, which made its television premiere in Central New
York on PEGASYS station Channel 13 on November 18, 1998, features
interviews with students and activists who were involved in and
eyewitnesses of the pro-democracy struggle.  The film traces the
evolution of the Uprising from its early beginnings as a student
movement to its development as a popular struggle and finally to the
Burmese military regime's brutal crackdown of the demonstrations.  It
also examines the current situation in Burma as well as the reasons why
Burmese activists continue working in the movement for democracy.

Birth is the first film on the 1988 Uprising produced by a Burmese
activist, Shwe Htee (8.8.88). Shwe Htee, who was a student leader in the
uprising, is currently Secretary of the Education Committee for the
Democratic Burmese Students' Organization (USA).  Regarding his
award-winning film, Shwe Htee responds, "I would like to thank everyone
who helped me make this film, especially the Burmese students and people
who shared their experiences of 1988.  I hope by winning these awards,
it will raise more awareness of the terrible situation in Burma.  I
believe one day Burma will be free."   Selected as Best Public Access
Program, Birth will now travel to the 1999 Hometown Video Festival,
cable programming's largest video festival, where it will compete with
other documentaries nationwide.

Birth: Voices from the 1988 Uprising in Burma is a project of the
Nonviolence Empowerment Organization, Inc. (NEO).  The PEGASYS Awards
recognize the best in community programming.  The awards ceremony aired
February 20, 1999 on Channel 13 at 8:00 pm (EST).

For more information or to obtain a copy of the film, please contact The
Nonviolence Empowerment Organization, Inc. (NEO), P.O. Box 6596, Ithaca,
NY 14851-6596, USA, neo200@xxxxxxxxxxxx

The Nonviolence Empowerment Organization, Inc. (NEO) is an organization
dedicated to educating the public about the situation of human rights
and refugees all over the world.