Testimony before the Senate Foreign

Subject: Testimony before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee On Fiscal

Year 2000 Budget [ Burma discussed]
To: burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Netters,
                        The following is the extract from US Secretary of
State, Madeleine Albright's testimony. The US concerns about Burma are
discussed.

Peace.

Julien Moe
*************
  Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright
Testimony before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee On Fiscal Year 2000
Budget
February 24, 1999, Washington, D.C.
As released by the Office of the Spokesman
U.S. Department of State

C) The Asia Pacific

In the Asia Pacific, we are working with allies and partners to improve
security cooperation, restore economic momentum and build democracy.

Economically, the past 20 months have been extremely painful for many in
Asia. Governments have been challenged and millions of people face the
prospects of unemployment, reduced living standards and a more uncertain
future. Currently, we are working with a number of governments and with the
international financial institutions to encourage policies that will restore
growth, attract long-term investment, improve financial transparency,
sustain momentum towards open markets, and help citizens adjust to change.

In Thailand, I will convey strong U.S. support for the government's economic
reform programs and the efforts of the Thai people to strengthen democratic
institutions across the board.

To Indonesia, I will bring a message of concern and friendship from the
American people; including support for free, fair and credible elections and
a commitment to stand by the Indonesian people in what promises to be an
extended period of economic recovery and political change. I will also
discuss with Indonesian leaders the ongoing negotiations to reach a peaceful
resolution of the status of East Timor. My emphasis will be on the need to
minimize violence, promote stability, and respect human rights as the
transition to a new status takes place.

Elsewhere in the region, we will continue to work with ASEAN, Japan and
others to strengthen democracy in Cambodia, and encourage a meaningful
dialogue in Burma between the authorities there and the democratic
opposition, led by the National League for Democracy (NLD). We are deeply
concerned by the attempts made throughout the past year to harass and
intimidate NLD leaders. Burmese authorities must understand that the path to
international acceptance and economic progress lies in movement towards a

legitimate and popularly supported government in Rangoon.