Unocal & SPDC show lies to the COMM

Subject: Unocal & SPDC show lies to the COMMISSION FOR JUSTICE AND PEACE

NOTE: A planned tour never shows all the facts (and fictions). They must
go on their own, with translators they trust and AWAY from the
militaries influence.
  Will they ignore the 1000s of witnesses after 1 pre-arranged tour ?

Unocal & SPDC show lies to the COMMISSION FOR JUSTICE AND PEACE

http://www.unocal.com/myanmar/timm.htm

COMMISSION FOR JUSTICE AND PEACE
GPO Box-5, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh, Tel: (880-2) 417936
Fax: (880-2) 834993, E-mail: hlbtimm@xxxxxxxxxxxx

                    Roger C. Beach
                    Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
                    Unocal Corporation
                    2141 Rosecrans Avenue, Suite 4000
                    El Segundo, CA 90245
                    USA

                    Dear Mr. Beach:

                    We, Reverend R. W. Timm and Justice K.M. Subhan,
forward the enclosed report,
                    prepared in response to a Unocal representative. It
presents our observations from a
                    recent tour and inspection of the Yadana pipeline
project. We spent five days in
                    Myanmar during January, 1998, with the full
cooperation of Unocal and TOTAL.

                    TOTAL briefed us in Yangon on the Yadana project and
the socio-economic
                    programs. They transported us from Yangon to the
pipeline and back on their shuttle
                    flights. At the site, they provided a helicopter
flight from one end of the pipeline route
                    to the other, ground transportation to the villages,
a translator who works with the
                    Village Communication Committees and accommodations
for our stay at the Kanbauk
                    Main Camp. We appreciate their courtesy and
cooperation.

                    We visited villages, interviewing doctors, teachers,
pupils, farmers, people who
                    worked on the pipeline and other villagers. There
was never any army or government
                    presence, nor did Unocal or TOTAL seek to guide any
discussions or interviews. We
                    selected villages, roamed freely and talked with
anyone we chose. In those remote

                    locations, people were very free with their
comments. Our decades of experience in
                    legal, humanitarian and human rights works assure us
that we were seeing the true
                    conditions and hearing the truth in our interviews.

                    It is a pleasure to forward this report. We
congratulate you and your colleagues on
                    the socio-economic and humanitarian work you are
carrying out as part of the
                    Yadana Project. Everyone in each village has a
better life because of your work. The
                    approach you have taken at Yadana should be a model
for other international
                    companies.

                    Yours sincerely,

                    R. W. Timm K. M. Subhan