The BurmaNet News: March 12, 1999-C

Subject: Re: The BurmaNet News: March 12, 1999-Check

John Jacobs has informed us of a situation , which ,in the long run , is
an importanmt issue. I am sure followers of this web site as well as all
Burma activists would benefit from more information regarding this
matter.

It would be better if someone could pursue the matter further as
suggested Jacobs.

S Cabaret.

>From: "John William Jacobs" <jjacobs@xxxxxxxxxx>
>To: BURMANET-L <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: The BurmaNet News: March 12, 1999
>Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 18:45:01 -0700
>
>Hello,
>
>I was wondering if you could help me.  The web page www.myanmar.com
>advertised as the official homepage of the "Union of Myanmar" is being
>hosted by a US company, SMARTNET.  Although I'm not a lawyer or even
very
>skilled at interpreting the law I feel that this is a direct violation
of
>the US sanctions imposed against Burma.  This site contains information
>including contacts and regulations on how to conduct business in Burma.
>
>The sanctions imposed by the US directly prohibit any new investment in
>Burma and furthermore prohibit "entering into a contract providing for
the
>participation in royalties, earnings, or profits in the economic
development
>of resources located in Burma, without regard to the form of
participation"
>and "facilitating  transactions of foreign persons that would violate
any of
>the foregoing prohibitions if engaged in by a United States person".
>
>If I'm not mistaken, hosting a site that is referenced as the official
home
>page on both the ASEAN site and the Myanmar mission to the UN site, and
>including information on how to invest in Burma, would in fact be a
direct
>violation of these sanctions.
>
>I have contacted both the US Dept of Justice and the FBI and asked if
they
>are the correct agencies to contact concerning this issue.  I have not
>received any help or information.
>
>I have also contacted SMARTNET directly and appealed to them on a
>humanitarian level to discontinue their support of this site. They
don't
>care about the content of the site or what it represents.  I was told
that
>in the absence of a court order, they will continue to front the domain
name
>and host the site.
>
>I am asking that the readers of this list, and all others who care
about
>human rights, contact SMARTNET and request that they discontinue their
>support of this site.  I am of course sensitive to first amendment
rights