SUU KYI/DYING HUSBAND/SPDC (r)

RE: SUU KYI/DYING HUSBAND/SPDC
==============================

We certainly believe that Daw Aung San Suu Kyi as a mother and wife must
be aware of all the "Dukkhas" like these that she must bear when she
decided to lead the country toward achieving democracy. On the same
note, we also believe that Daw Aung San Suu Kyi would know what to
decide based on all aspects of the true situations that surrounds her
including the painful news about the present state of her husband.

As far as SPDC is concerned, we hope that they will issue Dr Aris a visa
based on humanitarian grounds leaving "who is visiting whom" entirely to
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and her husband and of course on Dr Aris's actual
condition to travel. SPDC should not take much pain or time in deciding
on their behalf.

The decisions should be all theirs and should be treated as purely
personal matters and a special case to be considered. Let's be honest
for once.

With metta,

Minn Kyaw Minn
--------------

>From: moe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Julien Moe)
>To: burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: SUU KYI/DYING HUSBAND/SPDC
>Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 01:12:14 -0500 (EST)
>From owner-burmanet-l@xxxxxxx Fri Mar 19 05:15:58 1999
>Sender: owner-burmanet-l@xxxxxxx
>
>Suu Kyi Should Visit Dying Husband - Myanmar
>09:20 a.m. Mar 18, 1999 Eastern
>YANGON, Myanmar (Reuters) - Myanmar's military government said Thursday
it
>was reviewing a visa request from the dying British husband of
opposition
>leader Aung San Suu Kyi but said it would be more sensible for her to
visit
>him.
>
>``The government of Myanmar suggests that Ms. Suu Kyi, who is in
perfect
>health, travel to England to respond to her husband's dying wish to see
her.
>She has so far refused to go,'' it said.
>

>The military has long sought a way to get Suu Kyi, the biggest thorn in
its
>side for a decade, to leave the country.
>
>She has not left for the past 11 years, fearing she would not be
allowed
>back if she did. She appears unlikely to do so now, whatever the
>circumstances.
>
>Suu Kyi, who won the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize for her courage in standing
up
>to military rule, has not left Myanmar since she returned to Yangon in
early
>1988 to nurse her dying mother.
>

>Sources close to Suu Kyi's family say her husband, Michael Aris, an
Oxford
>academic who has been denied a visa to Myanmar for the past three
years, is
>dying from prostate cancer that has spread to his spine and lungs.
>
>The government said in a statement it would provide Suu Kyi ''all
possible
>assistance'' to join her husband. It did not say if she would be
allowed to
>return if she did so.
>
>``Dr. Aris has requested a visa to visit Myanmar to see his wife, which
the
>government is currently reviewing,'' it said.
>
>``Dr. Aris' medical condition is extremely grave, however, and
government
>health authorities are surprised that he would request such a difficult
trip
>at this time.
>
>``To undertake a trip to Myanmar under such conditions... would appear
to be
>both irresponsible and inhumane, and the government is reluctant to
>encourage or endorse such an action.''
>
>The sources close to Suu Kyi's family said that even if Aris were
granted a
>visa he was not fit enough to travel. But he would do so if his
condition
>improved, despite fears he might not survive the journey.
>
>The two have not seen one another since mid-1995, shortly after she was
>released from six years of house arrest.
>
>In London, the British Foreign Office said it supported Aris'
application
>for a visa to Myanmar, which it refers to by its former name, Burma.
>
>``We understand the Burmese authorities are still considering the
>application and we hope that they will give a positive answer,'' a
Foreign