NLD Statement 50 in english (r)

National League for Democracy
NO (97/B), West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

A DISCOURSE ON THE FIFTY FOUTH ANNIVERSARY OF RESISTANCE DAY

Statement No: 50 (3/99)

1.	On the 27th March 1999, fifty four years will have passed since the
Armed Forces and the Burmese people shed their blood and resisted the
armed forces of a foreign country and their fascist policies.

2.	This story of resistance to reclaim sovereign power which began in
1945 is of tremendous importance and stands out as a landmark in Burma's
history.

3.	The overthrow of fascism was not only a symbol of the unity of all
the peoples of Burma was the fore-runner in the obtaining  of our
independence on the 4th January 1948. This fact no one will deny.

4.	The resistance movement  -- in which General Aung San , martyred
leader, independence architect, father and founder of Burma's Armed
Forces and all the people participated with determination and the will
to win and not capitulate, fighting and bleeding --- is of great
historic significance. It is important that our children and the future
generation should be made aware that the 27th March is not a
commemoration of the Armed Forces but a commemoration of the resistance
to fascism.

5.	On page 83 of the book "History of the Resistance to Fascism",
General Aung San wrote "On the 27 March, 1945, our whole nation
organised and commenced the resistance movement against fascism as is
known to the world today".

6.	General Aung San in his writings recounted that before this
resistance to the Japanese Fascists, he and his political colleagues
resolved that to overthrow the British colonial government they needed
to take up arms. Therefore the decision to form the armed forces was
made.

7.	This was why General Aung San and the "thirty comrades" (the youths
of Burma) secretly went to Japan to train and equip themselves with the
skills of warfare. After that they spearheaded the fight for Burma's
independence in collaboration with the Japanese armed forces from
Bangkok  in Thailand. The Burma Independence Army (BIA) was formed on
the 26 December 1941, by General Aung San and his thirty comrades with
him as their leader.

8.	Therefore, it is only fitting and proper that the 26th  December be
commemorated as "Armed forces Day" , the day when the BIA was founded.
This can not be altered or watered down in any way. It was on the 27th
December and then again on the 30th December that these founders of the
BIA took the oath "drank blood" and vowed to sacrifice their lives to
gain independence for Burma. This act of allegiance and loyalty needs to
be extolled. This is the genuine history of how General Aung San founded
the Burma Army.

9.	On the 27 December when they "drank blood" the words spoken by
General Aung San was enough to cause continuous and painful goose
pimples. These were his words:-

"Fellow comrades,  provisions , we have none. Clothing, we don't even
have a scrap. Therefore, throughout this war we will have the earth to
sleep on and for food we have rocks and sand. This is all I can give
you. Do not anticipate position and wealth. Death will be good luck for
us." (The Sparse Speeches of General Aung San: page- 24)

10.	General Aung San's BIA fought alongside the Japanese forces and
caused the retreat of the British army from Burma. General Aung San
acted as General of the Burma Defence Army (BDA) which replaces the BIA
on July 27, 1942.

11.	These soldiers had to endure dirty, bullying, crushing, overbearing
persecutions while they were fighting for Burma's independence. They
were prepared to sacrifice their lives and learn the skills of warfare
from the Japanese. Those individuals were the ones who nurtured the
soldiers of today's Armed Forces. Their love for country never
evaporated.

12.	This is how General Aung San founded and developed that Armed Forces
with selfless devotion and love for the country and its people. Some of
those Army personnel with sterling qualities are today leaders in the
NLD holding positions in its central executive body. There are others in
the Central Executive Committee and in other branches of the NLD who
have fought fearlessly against the fascists together with members of the
Armed Forces for our independence.

13.	We reproduce some of the utterances of General Aung San, father of
the Armed Forces. stipulating the qualities and responsibilities that
members of the armed forces should observe.

"----- This Armed Forces should be something that the people of this
country will revere, adore and depend on . But , if in the hearts of the
people there is resentment against this armed forces then the
establishment of this armed forces will be futile. Comrades, the poverty
we now suffer, the poverty we experience in our barracks , the dangers
we will face on the battle-field will have been all for nothing. That is
why, it is so essential that you discharge your duties so that the whole
country will have complete faith and trust in you. "  (The Sparse
Speeches of General Aung San: page- 97)

" ----- This armed forces has not been established for any one
individual. It has been established for the entire country- for all the
people. This army has not been established for one group, one party, or
one set of people. It has been established for the entire country- for
all its citizens.  ----- The duties and obligations that have been
systematically given to you whether in the higher or lower ranks- you
perform as representatives of this country."
(The Sparse Speeches of General Aung San: page- 102)

" ----- If these persons in high positions, no matter who, are self
seeking and work to the disadvantage of the people and the country,-
they will not last long. When the time comes they will fall. Looking
back in history, no matter how big or important a person, he eventually
will fall. You soldiers will also suffer if there are such corrupt
persons in high positions. Example- When someone in authority issues an
order outside his domain or jurisdiction and which has nothing
whatsoever to do with the country or the people's benefit- you will need
assess if that order is consonant with the established system, just or
unjust, and what purpose it will serve the country and its people.
-----"
(The Sparse Speeches of General Aung San: page- 103)

" ----- The other thing I want to say is what I have been repeatedly
saying. But I need to emphasise it again. The armed forces has not been
created for the purpose of persecuting the people, nor for the purpose
of exercising power with weapons. The army is the servant of the
country. The country is never the servant of the army . -----  "
(The Sparse Speeches of General Aung San: page- 104)

14.	The above utterances made by our martyred leader General Aung San,
architect of our independence, father of the army are precepts that
should be followed by the armed forces.

15.	It is extremely important for all members of the armed forces of
today to be mindful of General Aung San's spirit and the discipline and
principles that he propounded and to follow them conscientiously. On
August 19 of 1945, the Anti Fascist People's Freedom League held the
"Nay-thu-yein" conference with the full support of the people which made
it possible for the army to be enlarged and elevated to the position
that it is in today. It is not correct to exclaim that " Armed forces
only is mother- Armed forces only is father". The correct message is "
The people of the country only is mother- The people of the country only
is father".

16.	The real reason of our victory in the fight for independence from
fascism was because the people and the political leaders were united.
Similarly, the situation today calls for the whole country to learn from
the past and unitedly struggle for genuine democracy and human rights.

17.	In accordance with this historical record, the 27 March is not Armed
Forces Day. No one can deny that it marks the day when armed resistance
to the fascist system was taken up as a last resort. The armed forces of
today need to remember and commit themselves to adhering to the spirit
and the principles spelt out by the father of the army- General Aung
San. It should be as General Aung San declared- The army must be the
servant of the people. The country must not be the servant of the army.
Because the army is composed of sons and daughters (jewels) of all the
peoples of the country from every walk of life, fascist policies and
systems must not be applied.

18.	For the purpose of establishing genuine democracy which is the
deepest desire of the people today and because it is so important for
the future of the country it is first and foremost necessary that those
who genuinely aspire for democracy act unitedly. Then only a genuine
democratic government and a genuine democratic state for all the
different nationalities that live in the country can be established.

19.	When such a genuine democratic government is born it will be
possible to revive and establish an Armed Forces envisaged by our
martyred leader General Aung San, father of the army and architect of
our independence; an Armed Forces that appreciates his spirit and will
abide by his instructions; an Armed Forces that will be loved and
revered as in the days when resistance was  launched against the
colonial and fascist systems. On that day, all the different
nationalities and groups can unite and establish true democracy with
equality and complete human rights. That will be a day of glory and
victory.

Central Executive Committee
National League for Democracy

Rangoon