NLD Statement 48 in English

National League for Democracy
NO (97/B), West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

Statement No: 48 (3/99)

1.	Our information is that on the twentieth and twenty-first of February
1999, Insein township, Rangoon Division Union Solidrity and Development
Association (USDA) organising committee leader U Soe Moe, Phauk-kan ward
USDA Secretary U Tin Aye, and organising leader U San Ngwe went round
with a list of over twenty persons (residents of Phauk-kan ward,
Aung-zay-ya , Aung Thukha , Maga and Thida Roads) and forced those
individuals to sign their resignations from the NLD.

2.	Not being members of the NLD those individuals declined to sign the
statements.

3.	The USDA group then revealed that the information received was that
these individuals were planning to commit break-ins and demolitions in
collaboration with NLD members and that they were acting on orders from
higher authority. So if they resigned from the NLD, the matter would end
automatically. This was how they pressured them.

4.	When the said individuals adamantly resisted because they were not
members of the NLD, three of the USDA group then said that under the
circumstances they would have to sign claiming that they were not
members of the NLD. An inducement made to them was that it would be to
their advantage if in future they had any grievance against any action
of the Ward SPDC. They resorted to all sorts of coercion, intimidation
and pressure to get signatures.

5.	Among the persons on the list were Burmese traditional medicine
practitioners, evangelists, social workers and others who are involved
in national service. This information is given to reveal the persons who
are resorting to these deceitful malpractices and their directors. It
should never be allowed and we urge that such activities be stopped. We
strongly denounce such tactics.

Central Executive Committee
National League for Democracy

Rangoon