Nine Burmese Refugees are in Tihar

Subject: Nine Burmese Refugees are in Tihar Jail

Subject:		Nine Burmese Refugees are in Tihar Jail

Dear Friends,

		We, regretfully inform you that 9 of the Burmese refugees who are
rejected by UNHCR went for hunger-strikes in-front of UNHCR office New
Delhi on March 22, 99.The Delhi Police arrested them on March 24, 99 at
4:00 P.M (IST) and released them at midnight on the same day.  The police
tell then to go back to their rented room and provided Rs. 50 for them. But
their is no bus service available and slept at road side.  At the morning
of March 25,99 continue their  strike  in front of UNHCR office. The
police  came again and arrested them on  March 25, 99 at 12:00 noon. The
kept in that night at Lodhi police station. On March 26, 99 the police made
charge under foreigner act.  Article 14 and produce to Patiala court. then
send to Tihar Jail. Since Saturday, Sunday and  Monday is official  holy
day we could not meet them  and their conditions are  not known. Up to 26
March,1999 they refuse to have food.

N.Mang Lian
Chin Refugee Committee
Secretary