Jean Pearce on tourism to Burma --

Subject: Jean Pearce on tourism to Burma -- again

The Japan Times
March 17 1999

Getting things done
But ....
By Jean Pearce

Recently I wrote about my trip to Burma. I wrote how the once-wealthy
country is gradually slipping ever downward, its infrastructure in
disrepair. Of Suu Kyj, whose house we were not allowed to see. Of how avidly
the people watched her on TV. But mostly, of the beauty of the country and
its people. There was a great deal more I did not write. I was there as a
tourist for 12 days. Journalists may have visa requests denied, and
sometimes must pledge not to write about politics.

Several readers have criticized my report. What they read seemed quite
different from what I thought I wrote. Regular readers know that I oppose
oppressive governments and support good causes, which include Suu Kyi's.
I feel tourism is good because it provides a window to the world for the
people and for the government. However, I will quote Suu Kyi: "I still think
people should not come to Burma because the bulk of the money from tourism
goes straight into the pockets of the generals. And not only that, it is a
form of moral support for them because it makes them think that the
international community is not opposed to the human rights violations which
they are committing all the time ... that their actions are accepted by the
world."

On the some subject from another source: "The tourist industry is
inextricably linked with widespread and systematic human rights abuse.
Millions of men, women and children have been forced to build roads (we saw
this, little children breaking, hauling rocks for roadbeds), railways and
other tourist infrastructure while the regime reaps the rewards of the
tourist dollars.''

I quoted the government's New Light of Burma. I did not expect anyone to
believe it. By reporting their excessive and vilifying condemnation of Suu
Kyi, I thought readers, who are well informed, would realize how much her
influence is feared by the authorities. Perhaps I expected too much.

"One can see how little she cared for the Burmese. To her, going to Burma is
like going to an amusement park, except that Burma offers a different kind
of experience/pleasure to her -- a backward society filled with dilapidated
vehicles and poor children, perhaps unheard of in her part of the world. She
even urged people to go as soon as possible before this show is over."
Comment -- please read it again.

''Despite the hospitable smiles of ever-forgiving Burmese, Burma is
stigmatized with grove social problems, namely dislocations, tortures,
abuses, AIDS, drugs, corruption, oppression, caused directly or indirectly
by the people who are running the country. This Pearce did not even bother
to mention, nor did she even care." In 12 days as a tourist? Such exposes
demand months, even years, of careful research. Saying I did not care is a
false assumption made without proper research.

I wrote that the gold and jewels lcvished on temples and statues might
better be used to build schools, adding that it would depend, of course, on
what was taught. (One reader rightly added, And who teaches it.) Many
objected. "The tragic lack of education is due to the junta's preference to
spend a huge percentage of its budget on maintaining suppressive, bullying
and explolitive armed forces rather than on schools and teachers' salaries."

When I asked Burmese about today's conditions, the answer was invariably
that life is necessary to wait, that nothing can be done to hasten change.
Perhaps, they explained, today's problems reflect some incorrect action in
the past. Their patience is commendable. I have a deep respect for Buddhism,
and was humbled by their devotion.

However, I tend to be pragmatic, and I was reminded of the shoguns who kept
their daimyo impoverished by enforcing changes of residence between Edo and
the provinces. The assumption: people without resources cannot revolt. In
Burma, people give whatever they can to the temples where it is safer than
in the strongest vault. Some Buddhist fiqures are so covered with gold leaf
offerings that they are now only lumps. My western mode allows the thought
that someday this wealth could be used in ways contrary to the people's
intent.

For more, access
<http://www2.gol.com/users/brelief/Index.htm>
and
<http)://www.kyotoseika.ac.jp/freedom/>

Finally, you must realize that I only have 750 words. I would appreciate
your comments.

(Jean Pearce can be reached at <jpearce@xxxxxxx>)

http://www2.gol.com/users/brelief/Index.htm