Myanmar opposition Party Hluttaw Re (r)

Subject: Re: Myanmar opposition Party Hluttaw Representatives ...

Dear Eric Snider

I have (5) answers here.

(1) Committee representing members of People's Parliament elected in the
1990 multi-party general elections (Committee representing People's
Parliament)

Notification No 25( 4/99) (translation)

[Note - Refer and read as a continuation of Notification 23 (4/99)]
(It is not available yet, DTS)

1. On 23 April, 1999, The National League for Democracy (Central) received
a letter sent by U Tin Tun Maung. The said letter was dated 18 April with
suggestions for solving the present political impasse that the NLD and all
other political parties were facing.

2. Prior to receipt of this letter, the NLD had issued and published a
statement vehemently denouncing their members U Than Htoon (Dedaye), U Tin
Tun Maung (Mingaladon) and U Kyi Win (Mingaladon) because they had joined
with the Military Intelligence Services - a group that is completely
opposed to democracy and human rights - and was operating to split the NLD
by conspiring and resorting to every kind of evil and dishonest tactics and
strategy.

3. Appended to the said letter (mentioned in paragraph 1 above) was a list
(3 pages) which was entitled " List of persons who support and confirm the
suggestions for the solving of NLD's political problems as set out in the
letter dated 18.4.99". There were some signatures of  People's Parliament
members. The heading was type-written but the date shown therein was hand
written.

4. Our information is that U Than Htoon, U Tin Tun Maung and U Kyi Win were
instrumental in obtaining some of the signatures of the People's Parliament
representatives. Most of the People's Parliament members are incarcerated
imprisoned or bound down and have no freedom of movement. It is very
obvious that the above three individuals must have been directed and
assisted by the Military Intelligence personnel in the relevant area.

5. More significant (according to information received) is that the MIS
made special arrangements for U Than Tun and U Kyi Win to travel to the
towns of Prome, Myanaung, Bassein and Myaungmya to get the signatures of
the People's Representatives. When they got to Myanaung to get the
signatures of the NLD members of parliament, Security did not grant
permission at first. However, on production of visitation permits they saw
the members. This is evidence of the collusion between them and the MIS.

6. It has been revealed to the NLD head office by some of its
representatives whom they have been able to contact that the contents of
the letter have been changed. There are omissions and insertions of which
the signatories are not aware. This is a misdemeanor for which the culprits
should be prosecuted and accordingly, suitable measures will be taken by
the NLD.

7. The activities associated with the said letter are measures to obstruct
the convening of a People's Parliament in accordance with the wishes of the
people which is what the National League for Democracy is striving for.
Elected representatives of the People's Parliament contested the elections
implying that they would perform their duties for the country through a
People's Parliament. Therefore putting their signatures to such a letter
amounts to a breach of faith and loyalty to the people who elected them.

Committee representing People's Parliament

Rangoon
28 April 1999.
(Responsibility for distribution and publication is taken by the NLD)

(2) The "Political prisoners' Group" wrote a letter to 24 MPs in Burmese on
5/4/99. I will translate and forward it to you soon.

(3) Moe Thee Zun's and my response to DVB and RFA were also in Burmese. I
will translate mine and let you know then.

(4) CVs of three will be available soon. In fact, one of the three was 1974
activist. One is a father of a film star. The third, U Than Htoon has been
expelled from the party a year ago for the same type of act.

(5) The Asian Age
May 4, 199

Suu Kyi MPs take back call for talks with Burma junta

Bangkok, May 3: Some of the 25 Burmese Opposition members who signed a
letter calling for dialogue with the junta have retracted the statement
following a sharp rebuke from Opposition leaders, sources in Rangoon said.

Diplomatic sources said "most" of the National League for Democracy members
had withdrawn the statement which drew official condemnation from the party.
"They said they were led to believe it was a discussion paper of
suggestions rather than a "call" for the NLD to do something in
particular," one diplomat said.

The NLD under Nobel Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi on Saturday attacked the
three instigators of the letter, calling them "lackeys" of the junta for
urging a dialogue with the military regime.

"Three of our parliamentarians, who have vowed to fight for democracy and
human rights, have now become lackeys of the military intelligence," an NLD
statement said. It said they were "attempting to sow disunity" within the
party, an act described as "despicable".

The three MPs targeted by the statement are long-standing NLD members
elected in the party's 1990 general election victory which the junta has
never recognized.(AFP)

###

Sincerely

DTS