Renegades from Suu Kyi's party deny (r)

Subject: Re: Renegades from Suu Kyi's party deny splitting Myanmar opposition

(AP)
To: burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx

--------------40C38AE6EB771424FD665DB9

First of all, who is Tin Tun Maung and Hla Soe?? The status of
Daw Aung Sann Suu Kyi and U Tin Oo are technicalities that may be
important to SPDC and a few but not to the democratic forces.
Stay together and keep fighting. We must win.

Richard Aung Myint
California, USA

Julien Moe wrote:

> Renegades from Suu Kyi's party deny splitting Myanmar opposition
> May 11, 1999
> Web posted at: 2:57 AM EDT (0657 GMT)
>
> YANGON, Myanmar (AP) -- Eight renegade members of Myanmar opposition leader
> Aung San Suu Kyi's political party denied Tuesday that they are working for
> military intelligence in an attempt to split the group.
>
> Suu Kyi and other leaders of the National League for Democracy have branded
> them as traitors for producing a petition calling on party leaders to
> reconsider policies which the renegades said have led to a standoff with the
> military government.
>
> The controversy is a rare sign of dissent within the beleaguered opposition
> in Myanmar, also known as Burma, which has been ruled by the military in
> various guises since 1962.
>
> While the military regularly vilifies Suu Kyi in its state-run press and
> public statements, challenges to the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize winner from
> within her party are rare.
>
> "We submitted the proposal to perpetuate the existence of the party, and not
> to destroy its unity," Tin Tun Maung, one of three party members who drafted
> the petition, said at a news conference at the Yangon home of a fellow party
> member.
>
> "We did it in the best interest of the party, with our own free will and
> under the influence of nobody," he said.
>
> They cited in particular Suu Kyi's attempt to convene the parliament that
> was elected in 1990 in a poll that the NLD won by a landslide. The three
> petition drafters were elected then.
>
> The military government refused to honor the election. After attempts to
> persuade the military to open a dialogue with her and other NLD leaders

> failed, Suu Kyi said the party would convene the parliament in September of
> last year.
>
> The military responded by detaining nearly 1,000 party members at what it
> called government guest houses. It also shut down NLD offices around the
> country and said that thousands of party members had voluntarily resigned.
> NLD leaders said the resignations were coerced.
>
> Either way, Tin Tun Maung said, the resignations "don't bode well for the
> future of the party."
>
> Of Suu Kyi, Tin Tun Maung said: "I think she wanted compromise, but those
> around her were against it."
>
> The renegade petition was signed by 25 party members, most of whom diplomats
> in Yangon said were under detention in government guest houses at the time.
> The renegades said the main goals of their petition is to break the deadlock
>
> between the party and the military.
>
> Hla Soe, another NLD lawmaker, said dialogue between the party and the
> military could have taken place long ago if Suu Kyi and Vice Chairman Tin Oo
> were content to let other NLD leaders carry it out while obeying their
> instructions from the sidelines.
>
> "Tin Oo and Aung San Suu Kyi were expelled from the party when they were
> [...]

begin:          vcard
fn:             Richard Myint
n:              Myint;Richard
org:            Myint Family
adr;dom:        31349 Santa Cruz Way;;;Union City;CA;94587;
email;internet: ramyint@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;home:       510-429-8442
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE