INDO-BURMA BORDER TRADE :PART 1 AND

Subject: INDO-BURMA BORDER TRADE :PART 1 AND 2

INDO-BURMA BORDER TRADE: FOUR- YEAR EXPERIENCE WITH DIFFICULTIES

BY:	MIZZIMA NEWS GROUP
May 1999

According to official figures, India has emerged as the largest market for
Burma's exports constituting approximately 23% of Burma's global exports.
India ranked third in Burma's total foreign trade in 1997-98, contributing
about 10% of Burma's total trade volume. The two governments think that the
present level of trade between the two countries is much less than its
potential and thus needs to be boosted.

However, the Indo-Burma border trade, which started four years ago with
great enthusiasm from both governments has never been smooth. The available
figures show that volume of trade has gone down in recent years. The border
trade is currently carrying out through Tamu-Moreh route  (Tamu which is a
township in Sagaing Division of Burma is bordering with Moreh of Manipur
State in India.) and the efforts are made by both governments to open an
additional route: Champhai-Rid (which connects Champhai township in Mizoram
State of India with Rid village of Chin Division in Burma). Burmese
authorities have also suggested the possibility of opening a third border
point at Paletwa township in Rakhine State in Burma and South Mizoram in
India.

The Border Trade Agreement was signed on January 21, 1994 between the
Governments of India and Burma. The trade through Tamu-Moreh route was
officially inaugurated at Tamu on April 12th 1995 by Burma's then Trade
Minister Lieutenant-General Tun Kyi and India's then Commerce Minister Mr.
P. Chidambaram.

Under the agreement, 22 items are identified for exchange by residents
living along the border between India and Burma. These 22 items are:
Mustard /Rape seed, Pulses and Beans, Fresh Vegetables, Fruits, Garlic,
Onion, Chillies, Spices (excluding nutmeg, vace, cloves, cassia), Bamboo,
Minor forest products excluding Teak, Food items for local consumption,
Tobacco, Tomato, Reed Broom, Sesame, Resin, Corriander Seeds, Soyabean,
Roasted Sunflower Seeds, Katha, Ginger.

However, out of 22 items identified as exchangeable items, it is learnt
that only 12 items are practically viable for import and export across the
border.

Some of the main items of exports from India to Burma through the border
trade are: Wheat-flour, Bicycle and its parts, Bleaching powder, Fenugreek
seeds, Ani seeds, Cumin seeds, Soyabari, Dry Chilies, Agarbatti, Suman Rose
Powder, Pea, Garlic, Stainless stell etc.. Main items of imports from Burma
to India are: Betel Nuts, Turmeric, Red kidney bean (Rajma), Kuth roots,
Gram, Resin, Reed-brooms etc..

The border trade suffered abrupt downfall of trade during the years
1997-1998 and 1998-1999.

Volume of Trade:

EXPORT

Year			Value				Cess

1995-96		Rs. 10,45,32,984/-		Rs.   5,23,682/-
1996-97		Rs. 29,79,96,037/-		Rs. 22,64,112/-
1997-98		Rs. 25,16,67,199/-		Rs. 26,64,985/-
1998-99		Rs.   4,88,42,680/-		Rs.   4,51,289/-

IMPORT

Year			Value				Duty

1995-96		Rs.   5,39,05,477/-		Rs.    46,04,421/-
1996-97		Rs. 16,17,12,506/-		Rs. 1,37,54,666/-
1997-98		Rs. 37,19,55,314/-		Rs. 3,11,96,155/-
1998-99		Rs.  3,74,56,152/-		Rs.    37,80,194/-

(Source: Moreh Chamber of Commerce)

To be continued-

_________

The following is the Interview with Mr. G.K Pillai, Joint Secretary (North
East), Home Ministry, Government of India on 29th April 1999

Q: 	What is the present stage of Indo-Myanmar border trade?
A:	We have trade at the Tamu-Moreh border and this trade point was
operationalised in October 1995. It has been functioning for the last three
years. Last year there were certain problems. As a result of which trade
volume came down considerably. I have taken a review meeting at Moreh to
understand the difficulties faced by the exporters as well as the others
and in the light of these discussions, an action plan has being drawn up to
bring the trade up again.

Q:	What are the problems and difficulties?
A:	Some of them are one the fact that Memorandum of Understanding in regard
to the Banking Arrangements have not been yet finalized. We got problems of
credit. We got problems in terms of infrastructure, telecommunication
facilities are not adequate. We also got issues like certain elements of
tax imposed by the State Government, which have according to the exporters
made it unprofitable for them to deal with that business. So, all issues
are being addressed.

Q:	Moreh Chambers of Commerce has submitted a memorandum to you mentioning
their problems including providing better facilities for telecommunication
in Moreh. What is your response?
A:	Our intention of course is to put the latest wireless equipment and to
improve the telecommunication facilities as also the banking facilities and
it was in this connection I had gone there to hold the meeting with all the
district officers concerned. A program of action has been drawn up and
further review that a meeting had been taken by the special secretary
(North East) at Delhi on 13th of May where all the departments would be
present.

Q: Some of the media reports say that a meeting of Chief Ministers of North
East was held recently and in which they asked for reopening of Steel Wel
road for promoting trade across the borders?
A: There was no meeting of Chief Minister of North East. But there was a
request by Chief Minister of Assam for opening of Steel Wel road. It is one
of the proposals under consideration. And it is not in lieu of. It will be
an additional point of trade and we have got like Champhai-Zokhattha-Ri
sector. There are a number of areas where we hope that we will be able to
develop more border trade points. And also set up the border huts in other
areas in Nagaland, Mizoram as well as Manipur.

Q:	When this Chamhai-Ri sector route can be opened?