Riot in Tokyo Concert (r)

Violent attack by embassy staff

These series of cultural events, several shows each day May 23 and 24, were
an official function of the embassy held at a concert hall in Tokyo.
Burmese and Japanese dignitaries, diplomats, and Japanese investors were
guests, but the hall was almost empty with attendence very low indeed.
Outside more than 200 Burmese gathered to protest the event by shouting
slogans and leafleting the dignitaries as they entered the hall.

At the end of the first concert of the second day, Michael Collins a.k.a.
Myo Min Htut, 31, a staff member of the  Burmese Youth Volunteer
Association,  and Dr. Khin Maung Oo, 36, a veterinarian,  who had watched
the performance, stood and shouted "Restore Democracy" in Burmese.

Immediately after they shouted their slogan, six staff from the slorc/spdc
embassy attacked them, striking them with a flashlight and a camera,
pummeling them with fists and kicking them with their shod feet.  Dr. Htun
Aye, a former pro-democracy leader who later repudiated the movement, was
among the attackers. The assault took place in the pressence of several
Japanese police who attempted to restore order.

About 20 metres from the spot, Daw Tang Ba, 36, Dr. Khin Maung Oo's wife,
aimed her video camera at her husband's attackers, but three more embassy
staff turned on her to get her video cassette. The man who actually wrestled
the cassette away from her was a son of the 1st Secretary L Gaw Gun.

After the attack, when a Japanese police officer pointed him out and asked
him where the cassette was, he denied ever having seen such cassette.

When the Japanese police officers tried to take the attackers to the police
station, the embassy personnel flashed their passports and claimed
diplomatic immunity.  The police shut the hall and attempted to negotiate
with the Ambassador for three hours.  Throughout, Ambassador Khin Maung Tin
refused to hand the attackers over to the police saying, "If you want to
interrogate them, come to the Embassy.  Our staff was doing their duty with
diplomatic immunity"  At last, the police gave up and only investigated the
site. Further action will be depend on diplomatic talks and so foreign
pressure is called for.

Demonstrating dissidents continued protesting outside the building, saying,
"We did not violate Japanese law, but the Embassy did!"  "The incident
happened in a concert venue, not inside the Embassy, therefore,  these
embassy staff members have no the right to claim diplomatic immunity"

Burmese dissidents in Tokyo are asking that the attackers be handed ocver to
Japanese authorities.  They urge all friends of Burmese democracy, in Japan
and overseas,  to join them in this request.