Toys won't help children in Myanmar

Subject: Toys won't help children in Myanmar (The Straits Times)

MAY 24 1999 The Straits Times

                     Toys won't help children in Myanmar

                     Myanmar is not a war-torn or disaster-stricken
                     country. Neither is it in poverty.

                     I REFER to your article, "Used toys wanted for children
                     in Myanmar" (ST, May 21).

                     The article stated that Metta Welfare Association is
                     collecting used toys for "the Myanmar children who are
                     having a hard time working for pennies, foraging for food
                     and searching for shelter" and that "these toys would
give
                     them much comfort and hope".

                     As a fellow citizen of Myanmar, I am still pondering the
                     real meaning of this gesture.

                     In my opinion, these used toys will not help and are not
                     the essential needs of the children. Used toys could not
                     bring hope to the children of Myanmar.

                     Myanmar is not a war-torn or disaster-stricken country.
                     Neither is it in poverty.

                     The entire population is self-sufficient in basic
                     requirements such as food, clothes and shelter.

                     In Myanmar, it is a tradition that the welfare of the
                     elderly, orphans and poor children are taken care of by
                     the society, and the Ministry of Social Welfare also
                     undertakes full responsibility for their welfare.

                     Since Myanmar is a developing country, it is my view that
                     technical cooperation in the fields of education and
health
                     is the most appropriate requirement for the children of
                     Myanmar.

                     MYINT SOE
                     Counsellor
                     Embassy of the Union of Myanmar