Han closes in on first victory (The

Subject: Han closes in on first victory (The Straits Times Singapore Press

Holdings)
To: burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx

MAY 23 1999

                      Han closes in on first victory (The Straits Times
Singapore Press Holdings )

                      GOLF

                      SHANGHAI -- Myanmar's Kyi Hla Han edged closer to
                      his first victory on the Asian PGA Tour yesterday,
firing a
                      five-under-par 67 to take a four-shot lead going into
the
                      final round of the China Open.

                      The Hongkong-based golfer -- who last month lost a
                      sudden-death play-off to be denied victory in the
previous
                      Asian PGA Tour event, South Korea's Maekyung Open
                      -- mastered the fairways at the Shanghai Silport Golf
Club
                      to finish the day with a three-round 11 under
aggregate of
                      205.

                      He leads from Hongkong's Scott Rowe, South African
                      Des Terblanche, and American Dean Wilson. Rowe fired
                      70, Terblanche 73 and Wilson 68.

                      Overnight leader Thammanoon Sriroj of Thailand slipped
                      back with a 75 and is five shots off the lead.

                      After being pipped in Korea, Han is in no mood to
                      relinquish his grip on the Shanghai event.

                      "I was four shots behind with seven to play in Korea
so I
                      was pleased to make the play-off," said the
38-year-old.

                      "I managed to see Korea in a positive way -- the way I
                      see it, I tied for first. Today was really about
staying in
                      contention. All I have been trying to do is stay
within a
                      couple of shots of the pace so that I have a chance to
                      win," added Han. -- AFP