ABSDO statement on CRPP

Statement of Rally for CRPP

Today falls on the ninth anniversary of the elections in 1990 in which =
democratic representatives were voted to govern Burma with the =
democratic principle. We, Burmese students and the Burmese community , =
and Australian students and supporters rally to express our support =
toward the Committee Representing People's Parliament (CRPP) founded in =
September 16 ,1998.

The elections were also a result of the 40 days of nation -wide rallies =
known as 8888 uprising by the  millions of people across the country for =
democracy in Burma. The regime known as State Law and Order Restoration =
Council (SLORC)  promised an election in 1990 . Despite their promise =
SLORC ignored the results in which Natioanl League for Democracy won 82% =
of the seats and formed the current regime, changing its name to State =
Peace and Development Council (SPDC) in 1997, to continue their brutal =
rule.

We believe that the military dictatorship that has ruled Burma for 37 =
years will cease only when the people's parliament is established and a =
true sense of democracy, human rights and peace, as well as self- =
determination for the entire people of Burma will flourish.

We support CRPP on its due task, authorised by 251 members of =
parliament, to convene the people's parliament. In the first =
Notification CRPP affirmed the people's desire to a democratic Burma, =
the parliament consist of elected representatives. The CRPP is the only =
legitimate authority. The SPDC and the so-called National Convention, =
who are currently drafting a constitution, are illegal and =
unrepresentative. They have no right to rule the country or draft the =
constitution as they are not authorised by the parliament.

We believe International community must response to the call made by Daw =
Aung San Suu Kyi to step up support for democratic movement and CRPP.

CRPP has  recently been recognized by Canadian province of   British =
Columbia , EU parliament , Denmark , Belgian and Internatioanl =
Parliamentarian Union IPU.

We are disappointed that none of the Australian parliaments suport CRPP.

We condemn the regime for their unlawful detention of 150 members of =
parliament.
We call on the international community, particularly the Australian =
Federal and State parliaments to:

-support the CRPP as the legitimate authority of the people of Burma and =
it's lawful right to convene the people's parliament as per the 1990 =
election result;
-urge the SPDC regime to enter dialogue with the CRPP
-seek ways to free Members of Parliament-elect and political prisoners =
including student leader Min Ko Naing; and
-to demand the reopening of all universities and colleges (closed since =
1996), and the re-establishment of the student union.

We also urge the Australian Government to impose economic sanctions =
against the Burmese military dictatorship and call on the state =
parliaments to adopt selective purchasing laws that ban any contracts =
with companies doing business with the brutal regime in Burma.

Central Committee

All Burma Students Democratic Organization ( Australia)
27th May 1999
Canberra , Australia
<http://www.absdo.com/>www.absdo.com
freeburma9999@xxxxxxxxx

------=_NextPart_000_0090_01BEA7C0.7577D6A0

Statement of Rally for CRPP

Today falls on the ninth = anniversary of=20 the elections in 1990 in which
democratic representatives were voted to = govern=20 Burma with the democratic
principle. We, Burmese students and the = Burmese=20 community , and
Australian
students and supporters rally to express our = support=20 toward the Committee
Representing People's Parliament (CRPP) founded in=20 September 16 ,1998.

The elections were also a result of the 40 = days of=20 nation -wide rallies
known as 8888 uprising by the  millions of = people=20 across the country for
democracy in Burma. The regime known as State Law = and=20 Order Restoration
Council (SLORC)  promised an election in 1990 . = Despite=20 their promise
SLORC ignored the results in which Natioanl League for = Democracy=20 won 82%
of the seats and formed the current regime, changing its name to = State=20
Peace and Development Council (SPDC) in 1997, to continue their brutal=20
rule.

We believe that the military dictatorship that has ruled = Burma for=20 37
years will cease only when the people's parliament is established and = a
true=20 sense of democracy, human rights and peace, as well as self- =
determination for=20 the entire people of Burma will flourish.

We support CRPP on its = due=20 task, authorised by 251 members of parliament,
to convene the people's=20 parliament. In the first Notification CRPP affirmed
the people's desire = to a=20 democratic Burma, the parliament consist of
elected representatives. The = CRPP is=20 the only legitimate authority. The
SPDC and the so-called National = Convention,=20 who are currently drafting a
constitution, are illegal and = unrepresentative.=20 They have no right to
rule
the country or draft the constitution as they = are not=20 authorised by the
parliament.

We believe International community = must=20 response to the call made by Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi to step up support for = democratic movement and=20 CRPP.

CRPP = has =20 recently been recognized by Canadian province of   British =
Columbia ,=20 EU parliament , Denmark , Belgian and Internatioanl
Parliamentarian = Union=20 IPU.

We are disappointed that none of the Australian parliaments = suport=20 CRPP.

We condemn the regime for their unlawful detention of 150 = members=20 of
parliament.
We call on the international community, particularly = the=20 Australian
Federal and State parliaments to:

-support the CRPP as = the=20 legitimate authority of the people of Burma and
it's lawful right to = convene the=20 people's parliament as per the 1990
election result;
-urge the SPDC = regime to=20 enter dialogue with the CRPP
-seek ways to free Members of = Parliament-elect=20 and political prisoners
including student leader Min Ko Naing; = and
-to demand=20 the reopening of all universities and colleges (closed since
1996), and = the=20 re-establishment of the student union.

We also urge the = Australian=20 Government to impose economic sanctions
against the Burmese military=20 dictatorship and call on the state parliaments
to adopt selective = purchasing=20 laws that ban any contracts with companies
doing business with the = brutal regime=20 in Burma.

Central Committee

All Burma Students Democratic=20 Organization ( Australia)
27th May 1999
Canberra , Australia
<3d.htm>www.absdo.com
<3d.htm>freeburma9999@xxxxxxxxx