A 619,000 TATMADAW?? (r)

According to a translation from Thai of an article in the "Bangkok Daily
News" of 31 May 99 (p 3),
"Arena For Expression" by Yawarat Suthaphinthu: "A Look at Thailand's Tense
Western Border With Burma":

"In the past year, Burma drafted twice as many soldiers as before. It now
has 619,437 soldiers, consisting of 586,196 Army soldiers, 17,349 sailors,
and 15,892 airmen. The Burmese Army's strategic command has 12 Army regions
and its tactical command consists of 11 light infantry divisions."

The figure of 619,437 for the Burmese armed forces is about 200,000 higher
than any other estimate I have seen, and must be viewed with some
scepticism. However...

Could someone in Thailand check these figures from the Thai original, talk
to the author, find out how sound the figures are, what the source is etc.
and post the results on the net and/or send them to me.

David Arnott (darnott@xxxxxxxxxxx)
Internet ProLink PC User