Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's speech on 27

Subject: Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's speech on 27-5-1999

National League for Democracy
No:(97/B), West Shwegondine Road
Bahan Township, Bahan

May 27, 1999
Address by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi,
General Secretary of the National League for Democracy,
on the occasion of the 9th anniversary of the general elections.

I thank all the members of the National League for Democracy that are
present here to day. We value your presence. Our struggle for democracy
has continued for 10 years now (1988 to 1999).  It is nearly eleven
years since our NLD was formed. Today, nine years after the general
elections, I will talk about how elections, democracy and political
parties are related.

There has to be political parties in a democratic system so that people
can exercise their right to make a choice to elect a government. Amongst
the millions of people in a country one cannot just announce that he  or
she will be a candidate in an election. It doesn't work that way.  There
has to be a system in which political parties operate otherwise for all
practical purposes, democracy will not work. Therefore, it was necessary
for us to form a political party. Political parties have to formulate
policies which have to be revealed to the people. The people can examine
the political platform of the parties and make their choice as to which
party they will support and as an expression of that support they cast
their votes at elections. They cast their votes for the candidates of
the party of their choice. We must bear this point in mind. In every
election, candidates of political parties contest. Independent
individuals who don't belong to any political are allowed by law to also
contest. If they are successful, they can rightly claim that they have
been elected on their own merit. But this is not the position with
candidates of political parties who are returned at the polls. It must
be remembered that their success was due to the political platform of
the party. In the 1990 general elections there were independent
candidate with independent beliefs and goals who dared to contest in
their own right.   However, I dare to make the statement that the 392
NLD candidates who contested the election did so in the name of our
party.

I speak with a clear conscience, as I was not a candidate in the
elections. At the time our party decided to contest the elections, our
Deputy Chairman U Tin Oo and I had been placed under arrest. We were not
involved in this decision. But because of our faith in our party and the

members, we accepted the decision 100%.  Because we were not personally
involved in the decision making our consent was not just 90%.

This is the democratic system. We accepted the majority decision to
participate in the elections.  I was under house arrest at the time. I
accepted the decision that I should contest in the elections. I made the
necessary application. But you all know that the authorities rejected
it. I did not refrain from casting my vote because I was refused
permission to contest. I knew that my one vote must be cast in support
of my party and our friends. I was aware that when my candidacy was
rejected, the party decided that our votes should go to the Democracy
Party candidate in my constituency, so I cast my vote accordingly. This
is the democratic way. These practices and rules must be observed. Those
NLD candidates who were successful in the elections have a duty to the
people and to the party and so do the party and all other political
parties.  Participation in the elections is an averment of one's belief
in the democratic system.  This is how I see it.  If personal gain was
the motivation, the people will lose faith. Politically, there can be no
respect for such a person. This is how every political party and every
individual that participated in the elections should view the situation
and work towards the establishment of the Hluttaw.

Why should anyone participate in elections if he/she does not believe
that a Hluttaw must be established?  We have the right to ask the
question. From the commencement of participation it was with the belief
that a Pyithu Hluttaw would be established.  If this was not so, why did
anyone participate. We can now ask if the individuals who contested did
so out of a desire to be recognized as members of parliament?  Were they
looking for person gain? Every individual, every party that believes in
the creation of a Pyithu Hluttaw has the responsibility to do everything
in his power to make it happen.  The electorate also has a
responsibility.  Why did they go and caste their votes? They were
endorsing the view that a Pyithu Hluttaw would be the outcome.
Therefore the responsibility is on everyone of us, participants in the
elections, the voters, those who were unable to vote -- all must do
their utmost, be it one brick or one grain of sand, everyone and
everything counts in this effort to create a Hluttaw.  But most of all,
my belief is that the National League for Democracy has the highest
responsibility.

This is clear because the National League for Democracy has the support
of the majority of people and for this reason, the responsibility is
highest.  We are doing our utmost to fulfil that responsibility. This is
why last year we asked the authorities to convene a Pyithu Hluttaw.
Eight years had passed and no Hluttaw had been established even though
it was for the purpose of creating a Pyithu Hluttaw that the elections
were held. More than reasonable time had elapsed when the democratic
decision was made to ask for the convening of a Pyithu Hluttaw.

In addition to the NLD elected representatives that attended the NLD
Congress in 1998, invitations were issued to all elected representatives

including those former NLD members. This was because we believe that
elected representatives remain representatives even though they have
resigned from the NLD and the purpose of the meeting being for the
purpose of discussing and deciding the matter of convening parliament.
The consensus was that the authorities be notified that before a certain
fixed date parliament should be convened.  The Central Executive
Committee of the NLD in consultation with the MPs that attended the
congress deliberated on the matter and felt that it was not appropriate
to make a hurried decision about a date of such an important event at a
three-day Congress .  We asked for time to give the matter of fixing the
date our serious consideration and that was how a final decision was
made. This was a decision that was taken in a strictly democratic
fashion. Every person who believes in democracy should follow the
democratic procedure in making decisions. As I have said earlier, it
does not matter whether one participated in the decision making process,
the decision of the majority has to be accepted. It does not mean that
the minority group will be bullied. This is a practical means to get the
work done. When elections are held, it is the majority that wins. He/she
who gets the most votes in a constituency, becomes the Hluttaw
representative for that constituency. Because one did not vote for that
person, one cannot deny him the right to be your representative.  This
works both ways.  The Hluttaw representative cannot favour those who
voted for him and discriminate against those who did not vote for him.
This is not how democracy works. Responsibility to faithfully perform
the will of the majority of the people is what democracy is about.
Fidelity is most important. It is not just the people in this country,
but the whole world knows how the National League for Democracy is being so
brutally suppressed.

There are some who claim that no other political party in the world has
been subjected to the persecutions that the NLD has suffered.  Despite
this, we continue to work honestly and faithfully for the people and for
those who believe in democracy. It is very important for our members to
be extra loyal.  If we are disloyal at times of difficulties we become
faithless persons. According to democratic principles, everyone has the
right to have their own beliefs, to think independently and to have
freedom of expression.  But if one acts disloyally in exercising those
rights, one is a renegade, a traitor.

At a time when our comrades, brothers and sisters are battling so hard,
disloyalty should not be contemplated. This is a time to be united and
show our solidarity. At a time when great loyalty is needed, don't make
excuses for disloyalty. The people know. We also know. Loyalty means to
remain loyal. If there are matters that you want to discuss in a spirit
of good will, there are proper democratic procedures that can be
pursued. We have always welcomed such approaches. Our members who want
to make any proposition or proposals can do so without any difficulty.
Letters can be easily handed to any one of our Central Executive. Very

few political parties have this sort of easy communication with their
leaders. This is not just in our country.  It is a fact around the
world. I ask this question - In how many political parties can an
ordinary member walk into the head office and personally hand over a
letter of request or advice to the Central Executive Committee?  This is
possible in our party.  So this is your opportunity but please do not
misappropriate it.

To enjoy the privileges of democracy you must fulfil the obligations
that go with it.  The first obligation is loyalty to the cause. Please
be loyal.  The second obligation is loyalty to the multiparty general
elections of 1990.  This means loyalty to the party that you represented
and contested for. If you were an NLD representative, you must observe
the rules and policies of the party and remain loyal to those
principles. The third obligation is to be loyal to one's self.  This
includes the first and second loyalties. If you believe in democracy,
and you believe in the elections all you need to do is to stick to our
original policies and continue in the struggle.

If we have that loyalty, and will stand firm in our political
convictions the struggle for democracy will soon be won.  I have said
this over and over again.  I have never wavered in the belief that we
will be victorious.  The time it will take cannot be predicted. A lot
depends on our ability to withstand the onslaught, the people's courage,
and the world situation.

Politics is difficult to predict. Why? Because it is so inextricably
intertwined with social affairs, economics, religion, education etc.
Political change will not happen by itself.  Sometimes it is triggered
by the economy. Sometimes it could be the result of religion. Education
is another factor where student movements bring about political change.
We cannot say with any precision what sort of situation will bring about
the change.  But greater loyalty will produce strength and this will
bring us closer to victory.

I close this occasion of the 9th anniversary of the general elections
with a renewed oath of loyalty and declare that we will all work with
courage, persistence, perseverance and press on to gain victory as soon
as possible.

Rangoon