Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's address on 7

Subject: Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's address on 7-6-99

National League for Democracy
No:(97/B), West Shwegondine Road
Bahan Township, Bahan

NLD General Secretary Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's address
on 7 June 1999

We have frequently spoken about dialogue. We are just not sitting and
waiting to have dialogue. We accept that we will have to sit down and
have dialogue to settle all these issues. I will have to repeat what has
been said before. Those who have better foresight, better sense of love
of country try to hasten this process of dialogue. Others who don't have
that foresight or love of country will delay that process.

What is happening in Yugoslavia now is very obvious. After much bombing,
and much suffering and dying they have agreed to talk. Yet, I have heard
and others who listen to the radio will have heard that there are some
generals who will not cooperate wholeheartedly and NATO has said that it
will start its bombing. So the people will have to continue suffering.
The suffering will continue till all come to see the right path and
settle the issues by dialogue.

Our circumstances are the same. Why? Dialogue is a process in which both
sides have to participate. One side alone cannot talk or have dialogue.
But we are not sitting and waiting.  We continue to do whatever has to
be done.

Our goal and decisions in the last nine years have been to work for the
good of the country and for its advancement. What the authorities have
failed to do, the Committee representing the Pyithu Hluttaw will do - to
the best of its ability. For example, we know that health and education
in this country has deteriorated badly.  The people are suffering
enormously because of this. If the authorities do nothing about this,
then we will have to start.  Where do we start? We will have to find the
root cause of the problem and work from there. Why? So that when a
democratic government is in place there will be preparedness.

We will be always working on the side of the people. Not just sitting
and waiting. Without mentioning names, I heard about a politician of the
past, who in 1962 at the time of the military take-over, was sitting by
the phone waiting, waiting.  I don't know exactly what he was waiting
for.  For us, it is not like that. Why? The formation of a government,
to be the prime minister, to be the president - these are not our goals.
Our aim is to serve the people and to perform the tasks that are
required for the people.

Dialogue is not a one-sided affair. Bind and gag a person, then have
dialogue? This is not it. Actually, this is what the authorities want to
do. If we will just nod our heads and accept everything that they say -
we could start tomorrow.

Such meetings will not be for the benefit of the people.  Because they
know that we want effective dialogue for the benefit of the people they
will not meet us to this day. But, I say to you, a day will come when
this sort of effective dialogue will result with benefits for all the
people.  When I say "all" I include those presently in authority. This
is my firm belief.

There is something else that I believe. I am aware of the blanket of
fear that is covering our people. I am going to tell you something
because I want you to know about it. Recently, at an interview with a
reporter (which will be published soon and then I could mention names) I
was told about an interview that this reporter had with a certain
minister. Of course this minister spoke about me in the same language
and manner of the government. About what a bad person I am, my
determination to destroy and so on. So the reporter asked the minister
to mention specifically my worst act or performance.  After the minister
had given it some thought he said, "She tells the people not to be
afraid.  This means she is inciting the people".  The reporter was taken
aback.  He expected the minister to mention things such as the economy
and the Myanmar tourism projects. No, it appears the worst thing that I
have done is to tell the people not to be afraid.

I must say that there is some misunderstanding here. When I say don't be
afraid, I do mean don't be afraid of the authorities. But I also mean
don't be afraid when a democratic government is established. I mean that
the people should not be afraid and that the dictatorial government too
should not be afraid. No one needs to be afraid of anyone else. If
someone says that he is afraid of me it reflects badly on me. It does
not enhance my reputation..

The authorities have nothing to fear from our organisation. If there was
reason to fear then that is not a good thing for us. There is a
misunderstanding, a misconception.  This is how we see it. This is why
they fear democracy. There is really nothing to fear.

Now, the  people know what is the worst thing about us. Now we need to
examine carefully the facts and continue in doing what has to be done.
What is that? Don't just wait for me to tell you.  Just learn to live
without fear.  If I keep reminding you, I will be seen as evil. Teach
yourself, learn yourself how not to fear. Adopt courage. Then I will not
be accused of inciting trouble.

Finally, Dialogue is inevitable. We will not just sit and wait.  We will
continue doing what has to be done.

Rangoon