AN ENTREATY FROM BOHMUAUNG AND HISC

Subject: AN ENTREATY FROM BOHMUAUNG AND HISCOLLEAGUES

AN ENTREATY FROM BOHMUAUNG AND HISCOLLEAGUES

1. Our first letter of the 23 November 1995 and the second under the
heading "Recommendations for National Reconciliation" dated 14 January
1999 were given frankly and honestly.

2. In so doing we were not motivated by any desire for personal gain but
solely because of our concern for the country and the people.

3.  In that paper we suggested that "the fundamental approach to solving
the country's various problems was by meeting and negotiation between
the State Peace and Development Council and the National League for
Democracy through the formation of a National Reconciliation Coalition
Government". Suggestions for the process, the type of government and the
tasks that should be undertaken were also given.

4.  We presume that there was no opposition to our suggestions by both
the SPDC and the NLD.

5.  We have read a report in the newspaper of the 5th June, 1999 about
the meeting between Secretary 2 of the SPDC General Khin Nyunt and Mrs.
Delphin Esmond. On the question of dialogue, the General said, " Our
idea of dialogue is one that will have to be achieved in four stages.
The first stage is to connect and to build up trust, which can be
achieved with both sides meeting. Once that stage of trust is reached we
can turn towards negotiation".

6. Similarly, we have read the NLD's statement of the 27 May 1999 that
"Ever since 1988 they have never been opposed to, or prevented, or
stopped in any way any negotiation or dialogue. The features of genuine
political dialogue are mutual respect, frankness and honesty, and giving
priority to the needs of the country. No pre-conditions for dialogue
have ever been set.

7. The attitude of both sides as set out in paragraph 5 and 6 is very
commendable.  Therefore if suspicions, mistrust, revenge and condemnation
can all be discarded the road to dialogue will be straightforward.

8.  Despite both sides having the desire to meet and negotiate, why is
it that to this date it has not been achieved? The country's political,
economic, social and administrative problems have not decreased.

9. Please put the country's interest first and forsake the suspicions,
distrust, hatred, and condemnatory attitudes. We again urge and request
the State Peace and Development Council and the National League for
Democracy to work towards national reconciliation by meeting, building
up trust and negotiating.

BOHMUAUNG
On behalf of Colleagues