The BurmaNet News: June 21, 1999

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
 "Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: June 21, 1999
Issue #1297

Noted in Passing: "Is keeping away from politics the Burmese way to women's
rights?" - Ma Aye Aye Mar (BWU) (see THE NATION: WOMEN'S NGO'S, BURMA'S
LATEST PROPAGANDA TOOL)

HEADLINES:
==========
NLD: DASSK SPEECH ON DIALOGUE
NLOM: SUCCESSFUL IMPLEMENTATION OF PROJECTS
NATION: WOMEN'S NGO'S, LATEST PROPAGANDA
NATION: SUU KYI URGES WOMEN TO HELP
REUTERS: CLINTON CALLS FOR BAN
BKK POST: ASEAN SLAMS ILO'S DECISION
AFP: AMNESTY CATALOGUES MYANMAR'S HR ABUSES
ASIAN AGE: ANTI-JUNTA GROUP FORMED IN BURMA
BKK POST: FIGHTING IN PA'AN

NATIONAL LEAGUE FOR DEMOCRACY: DAW AUNG SAN SUU KYI'S SPEECH ON DIALOGUE
10 June, 1999 by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi

National League for Democracy
No:(97/B), West Shwegondine Road
Bahan Township, Bahan

NLD General Secretary Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's address on 7 June 1999

We have frequently spoken about dialogue. We are just not sitting and
waiting to have dialogue. We accept that we will have to sit down and have
dialogue to settle all these issues. I will have to repeat what has been
said before. Those who have better foresight, better sense of love of
country try to hasten this process of dialogue. Others who don't have that
foresight or love of country will delay that process.

What is happening in Yugoslavia now is very obvious. After much bombing,
and much suffering and dying they have agreed to talk. Yet, I have heard
and others who listen to the radio will have heard that there are some
generals who will not cooperate wholeheartedly and NATO has said that it
will start its bombing. So the people will have to continue suffering. The
suffering will continue till all come to see the right path and settle the
issues by dialogue.

Our circumstances are the same. Why? Dialogue is a process in which both
sides have to participate. One side alone cannot talk or have dialogue. But
we are not sitting and waiting. We continue to do whatever has to be done.

Our goal and decisions in the last nine years have been to work for the
good of the country and for its advancement. What the authorities have
failed to do, the Committee representing the Pyithu Hluttaw will do - to
the best of its ability. For example, we know that health and education in
this country has deteriorated badly. The people are suffering enormously
because of this. If the authorities do nothing about this, then we will
have to start. Where do we start? We will have to find the root cause of
the problem and work from there. Why? So that when a democratic government
is in place there will be preparedness.

We will be always working on the side of the people. Not just sitting and
waiting. Without mentioning names, I heard about a politician of the past,
who in 1962 at the time of the military take-over, was sitting by the phone
waiting, waiting. I don't know exactly what he was waiting for. For us, it
is not like that. Why? The formation of a government, to be the prime
minister, to be the president - these are not our goals. Our aim is to
serve the people and to perform the tasks that are required for the people.

Dialogue is not a one-sided affair. Bind and gag a person, then have
dialogue? This is not it. Actually, this is what the authorities want to
do. If we will just nod our heads and accept everything that they say - we
could start tomorrow.

Such meetings will not be for the benefit of the people. Because they know
that we want effective dialogue for the benefit of the people they will not
meet us to this day. But, I say to you, a day will come when this sort of
effective dialogue will result with benefits for all the people. When I say
"all" I include those presently in authority. This is my firm belief.

There is something else that I believe. I am aware of the blanket of fear
that is covering our people. I am going to tell you something because I
want you to know about it. Recently, at an interview with a reporter (which
will be published soon and then I could mention names) I was told about an
interview that this reporter had with a certain minister. Of course this
minister spoke about me in the same language and manner of the government.
About what a bad person I am, my determination to destroy and so on. So the
reporter asked the minister to mention specifically my worst act or
performance. After the minister had given it some thought he said, "She
tells the people not to be afraid. This means she is inciting the people".
The reporter was taken aback. He expected the minister to mention things
such as the economy and the Myanmar tourism projects. No, it appears the
worst thing that I have done is to tell the people not to be afraid.

I must say that there is some misunderstanding here. When I say don't be
afraid, I do mean don't be afraid of the authorities. But I also mean don't
be afraid when a democratic government is established. I mean that the
people should not be afraid and that the dictatorial government too should
not be afraid. No one needs to be afraid of anyone else. If someone says
that he is afraid of me it reflects badly on me. It does not enhance my
reputation.

The authorities have nothing to fear from our organisation. If there was
reason to fear then that is not a good thing for us. There is a
misunderstanding, a misconception. This is how we see it. This is why they
fear democracy. There is really nothing to fear.

Now, the people know what is the worst thing about us. Now we need to
examine carefully the facts and continue in doing what has to be done. What
is that? Don't just wait for me to tell you. Just learn to live without
fear. If I keep reminding you, I will be seen as evil. Teach yourself,
learn yourself how not to fear. Adopt courage. Then I will not be accused
of inciting trouble.

Finally, Dialogue is inevitable. We will not just sit and wait. We will
continue doing what has to be done.

Rangoon

NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR: SUCCESSFUL IMPLEMENTATION OF PROJECTS

YANGON, 14 June - A ceremony to inaugurate Dalek Creek Bridge built by
Special Group-10 of the Bridge Construction Project under the Public Works
on Yangon Sittway Highway in Ann Township, Rakhine State, was held at the
pandal near the bridge this morning, with an address by Chairman of the
Central Supervisory Committee for Ensuring Secure and Smooth Transport
Secretary-2 of the State Peace and Development Council Lt-Gen Tin Oo.

In his address, Secretary-2 Lt-Gen Tin Oo said 990-foot-long Dalek Creek
Bridge, inaugurated today, is a bailey-type bridge and was built at a cost
of over K 480 million.

Out of ten bridges under construction on Yangon Sittway Highway, it was the
fifth to have been inaugurated; the previous ones already-inaugurated
bridges are Yo Creek Bridge, Kin Creek Bridge, Ohnti Creek Bridge and
Myaungbwe Bridge.

Ann-Sittway section lies on the Yangon-Sittway Highway is 202 miles and
three furlongs long; and now, the 100-mile section was already tarred and
the 80-mile-long section paved with stones; out of ten big bridges and over
800 small bridges to be built together with the Highway, five big bridges
and over 620 small bridges were already built; therefore, the Highway and
bridges will be completed as scheduled.

As for traveling from one town to another inside Rakhine State or making
journey to another states and divisions, waterway has to be used as a major
mode of transport.

As Rakhine State is teeming with rivers and creeks, building motor roads is
so impossible that it couldn't be even dreamt in the past.

According to the guidance of Head of State Senior General Than Shwe, 200
mile-long Yangon-Sittway Highway has been built along the route going
through Ann, Minbya, MraukU, Kyauktaw and Ponnagyun beginning 1996; the
roads and the bridges which could not be implemented even in imagination
previously, have come to emerge grandly in so short a time.

On condition that all the sections of the Highway are built step by step,
Rakhine State will have an easy access to other states and divisions in all
seasons, and trade will improve briskly and extensively; with the easy
access to other states and divisions, economic, social and health sectors
of Rakhine State will develop considerably.

In striving for the development of the State, especially for the economic
growth, the transport and communications are very important; Head of State
Senior General Than Shwe gave guidance that efforts for regional
development necessitate good roads in the region and the roads linking with
other regions; only when modes of transport are good, economy, social
matters and administration of a region will progress; in accord with that
guidance, strenuous efforts are being made to build motor roads, railroads
and bridges all over the country.

In this regard, the Head of State himself carried out inspection tours of
these construction projects, and gave guidance with a view to improving the
works all the more.

THE NATION: WOMEN'S NGO'S, BURMA'S LATEST PROPAGANDA TOOL
20 June, 1999 by Moe Aye

With Aung San Suu Kyi celebrating her birthday yesterday, a day designated
Burma Women's Day, Moe Aye looks at the endeavours of the generals' wives,
who are working to divert attention from the Nobel peace laureate.

While intentional freedom fighters, activists and Burmese in exile around
the world celebrated the birthday of Aung San Suu Kyi yesterday, a day
designated "Burma Women's Day", the majority of Burmese women are still in
the kitchen and busy with their daily toil. Meanwhile the junta's women's
organisations are also busy in their own way, running their businesses and
companies.

Although Burmese in exile have the right to celebrate and show their
feelings freely and openly, women inside Burma have to keep their feelings
to themselves and have no right even to send a greeting card to "The Lady".
They do not even have the right to say publicly that today is the birthday
of Aung San Suu Kyi. Except for the few NLD members who will have the right
to join celebrations at Daw Suu's house, any attempt to mark the event in
public will certainly result in a long prison term.

Before this day began to be celebrated as Burma Women's day, the junta
oppressed and arrested anyone who marked it publicly, but since The Lady's
birthday became Burma Women's day outside Burma, the junta's attitude has
become even harsher.

As women's issues are being raised around the world, the junta has been
trying to found many women's organisations in order to divert the attention
of women inside Burma. Now, there are many women's organisations inside
Burma such as the Myanmar Maternal and Child Welfare Association (MMCWA)
and the Myanma Women Entrepreneurs' Association (MWEA), but all are led by
the generals' wives. Last December the junta held the first Myanmar Women's
Conference. Surprisingly the main recommendation adopted at the conference
was to open a Women's Bank and to promote the economic advancement of women
in Myanmar. Nothing was said about ethnic women being raped and killed by
the junta's troops.

Dr Khin Win Shwe, [wife] of Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt (Secretary-l in the military
regime), recently said at a seminar on women's affairs in Rangoon that
participants must learn how to protect Burmese women from terrorists and
how to rehabilitate them.

Ma Aye Aye Mar, Central Executive Committee member of the Burma Women's
Union (BWU), an organisation founded by a group of female students on the
Thai-Burma border on Jan 7, 1995, responded: "She should know first who is
committing these terrors, and as a woman she must learn the causes of the
abuse of women's rights. She does not need to go away to learn about this.
She could just ask her husband, Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt, why the army continues
to commit crimes against ethnic women like a bloodthirsty beast. Why does
the MWEA and the Myanmar National Committee for Women's Affairs exclude
women who are involved in politics and who seek safety on the Thai-Burma
border? Is raping and killing their own ethnic women their 'protection
programme' for women? Is keeping away from politics the Burmese way to
women's rights?"

Her questions highlight the situation of Burmese women and the so-called
women's NGOs founded by the military regime. In 1994 Ma Tin Tin Nyo, a
prominent young female student leader, committed suicide after being
released from the Military Intelligence Service (MIS) interrogation centre.
Nobody yet knows why she did so. According to former women political
prisoners, however, all were sexually abused by the MIS. A female Western
diplomat in Rangoon also said - "Although women around the rest of the
world are speaking out loudly for women's rights, the junta's Myanmar Women
Entrepreneurs Association talks only about 'protection programmes for
women'. You can clearly see that in their organisations' aims and
objectives the terms 'women's rights' and 'politics' are absent. I think
political reform will come very slowly".

The junta always claims that it recognises the crucial role of women in
society and thus a national machinery, namely the Myanmar National
Committee for Women's Affairs, was established on July 3, 1996. Activities
related to the development of women are now said to be carried out in Burma
with added momentum under the umbrella of a national-level committee for
women. Moreover, the junta boasts that there are many women's social
organisations and that the MWEA is one of the leading organisations.

Its claims, however, cause many Burmese women some amusement. All women's
organisations, including the MWEA, are headed by the wives of top junta
members, and their leadership is largely a spousal mirror of the junta's
military and political chain of command. All members of the MWEA have to
donate 10,000 kyat for life-membership fees and 1,200 kyat for monthly
fees, in a country where the monthly salary for high-school teachers is
only 1,200 kyat. What's more, certain people, especially those who support
Aung San Suu Kyi and her NLD, cannot join those so-called women's
organisations. Worse, the MWEA and its branches ignore the lives of ethnic
women on the Thai-Burma border. Many women whose husbands and loved ones
are jailed for their involvement in politics are struggling very hard to
take care of their families, but they are also excluded from the junta's
women's organisations.

If the MWEA and the Myanmar National Committee for Women's Affairs are
concerned about their own women and want to protect them from terrorists,
the question of why they are silent about the ethnic women who are being
raped and killed by the military needs to be answered.

If those organisations are independent NGOs, the question why they dare not
grant membership to women who support the democracy movement and the NLD
needs to be answered. While women around the world demand to have
reasonable equal rights, the MWEA and the Myanmar National Committee for
Women's Affairs counsel Burmese women to follow and respect their husbands
and to concentrate on increasing their income instead of thinking about
politics. Whenever they hold small seminars in rural areas, they proclaim
that politics is not the business of Burmese women. The seminars,
supposedly for the education of women who live in rural areas, end by
criticising and denouncing Aung San Suu Kyi and her NLD.

In reality all women's organisations are set up by the military, not to
concentrate on women's issues but to push women out of politics. While
women's issues are being discussed around the world, the big problem for
the military regime is that the strongest and most daring opponent of the
regime in Burma is a woman, who is also a Nobel Peace laureate. Another
problem is that the birthday of Aung San Suu Kyi has become Burma Women's
Day. On the one hand they claim that women cannot govern the country, while
on the other they try to show the international community that they are
committed to dealing with women's issues, by organising so-called women's
NGOs led by their wives.

Recently Dr Cynthia Maung, who ministers to 20,000 refugees fleeing Burma's
version of ethnic cleansing, became the first recipient of the Jonathan
Mann Award. International medical associations, international bodies and
activists refer to her as the "Mother Theresa of Burma".

The junta, however, snubbed the commendation, claiming it was orchestrated
by the West. Instead of acknowledging the honour of having two Burmese
women as winners of the Nobel Peace Prize and the Jonathan Mann Award, the
junta denigrates those who have recognised these two great ladies for
dedicating their lives to helping their people. The junta's women's
organisations have also been silent.

Women inside Burma face great hardship. Ethnic women in particular are no
strangers to terror and extreme abuse. The junta's supposed women's NGOs
have revealed that they are simply a propaganda tool of the junta,
incapable of addressing the very serious issues faced by millions of women
inside Burma. The international community must not allow itself to be taken
in by this facade. A basic requirement of any NGO inside Burma is that it
be independent of the junta.

Moe Aye is a correspondent for the Democratic Voice of Burma, a radio
station based in Oslo.

THE NATION: SUU KYI URGES WOMEN TO HELP USHER IN DEMOCRACY
20 June, 1999 by Yindee Lertcharoenchok

APPEAL: CALL FOR PEACE IN BURMA

BURMA'S democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi has urged Burmese women of all
ethnic groups to help bring democracy and human rights to the strife-torn
Southeast Asian country.

Citing psychological records that women are better able to cope than men in
crisis situations, the 1991 Nobel Peace laureate called on the nation's
women to assert themselves to bring peace and progress to Burma. She also
wanted a better future for poor people the world over.

"There is a great need for our women of Burma to use their capabilities to
bring democracy and human rights to our country," she said in a statement
released yesterday to mark Women's Day in Burma, which is also her birthday.

Suu Kyi, who turned 54 yesterday, held a small, private religious ceremony
for close friends and well-wishers, many of them women, in Rangoon.
Meanwhile in Bangkok the Burmese community in exile joined hands with
human-rights activists in organising a small gathering to honour her and
Burmese women. Similar ceremonies were arranged in several Asian and
European countries.

In another brief message Suu Kyi praised her female compatriots for their
bravery, sacrifices and courage to withstand various forms of official
intimidation against her and her family.

"Though the authorities have applied pressure on you and your families
through intimidation, bribery and other ways, you have stood tall and
brave, striving to obtain democracy to fulfil the will of the people. This
is doubly encouraging," she said.

"With a sense of gratitude, I salute and honour all women who have been
imprisoned for their political beliefs, the wives and families of political
prisoners and other women who are gallantly and unselfishly shouldering the
tasks that have devolved to them as members of the National League for
Democracy," she added.

Although the NLD general-secretary did not mention her own role, exiled
Burmese across the globe have issued messages praising her for her
unwavering determination and personal sacrifice, which have included six
years of house arrest, long separation from her family and an unfulfilled
wish to be reunited with her dying husband.

In India many women activists consider her a role model for women in Asia
and proposed that June 19 be celebrated as Asian Women's Day.

"She is one of the few women leaders who have lived up to Mahatma Gandhi's
vision that 'in the war against war, women of the world will and should
lead', and made the Mahatma's dream come true that women's entry into
politics would act as a cleansing and humanising force," said Madhu
Kishwar, a well-known Indian woman activist and editor of the Manushi journal.

The proposal to adopt Suu Kyi's birthday as Asian Women's Day was formally
discussed at a public meeting yesterday at the India International Centre
in Delhi.

In her statement Suu Kyi pointed out the crucial role of Burmese women in
helping bring about political change, saying that in Burma housewives can
no longer keep out of politics because "it has invaded the traditional
domain of housewives".

"The root cause of spiralling commodity prices, greatly increased
electricity charges and rising costs of education and health care is a
political one," she said.

She urged women of all ethnic nationalities to help build "understanding
and unity between the different ethnic groups" and called on the
international aid agencies to assist women of various ethnic groups who
have been driven by political and economic hardship and live as refugees in
Burma's neighbouring countries.

"Let me also send a message of support to our refugee sisters who await a
future when they can return to their own land. We are working hard that you
may be able to come back soon to a Burma that would be a refuge for all our
ethnic nationalities. Please do not lose heart," she stated.

Suu Kyi, the daughter of Burma's independence hero Aung San, said she
believed that with perseverance and commitment, democracy and human rights
would prevail. "Let us all walk forward together with firm hearts and minds
to build a peaceful, prosperous union. I send my warm greetings and love to
the women of Burma," she concluded.

REUTERS: CLINTON CALLS FOR A BAN ON ABUSIVE CHILD LABOUR
16 June,1999

GENEVA, June 16 (Reuters) - U.S. President Bill Clinton appealed on
Wednesday for an end to the forcing of children into prostitution, slavery
and other abusive work as he began a week-long European tour expected to be
dominated by the aftermath of the Kosovo conflict.

"We must wipe from the Earth the most vicious forms of abusive child
labour. Every single day, tens of millions of children work in conditions
that shock the conscience," Clinton told the International Labour
Organisation.

Clinton, who flew overnight from Washington, became the first U.S.
president to address the U.N. organisation responsible for establishing
world labour standards.

He threw U.S. support behind a treaty that, when approved as expected on
Thursday, would require the ILO's 174 member states to take immediate
action to prohibit and eliminate the worst forms of child labour and remove
the children from them.

The treaty would ban all forms of slavery, child prostitution and
pornography, use of children in drug trafficking, and other work that would
harm the health, safety or morals of children under 18.

Clinton said some children were working chained to dangerous machines.
"These are not some archaic practices out of a Charles Dickens novel. These
are things that happen in too many places today," he said in the ILO
building overlooking Lake Geneva.

He singled out Myanmar, formerly Burma, for criticism, saying the
government there was violating human rights by forcing people into labour,
and called on the ILO's governing body to take action.

"Until people have the right to change their destiny, we must stand by them
and keep up the pressure for change," he said.

Clinton said the goal was to keep free trade flowing around the world while
also protecting the interests of working people.

He said the ILO should not stop at closing factories where children were
forced to work long hours. Abuses would continue unless children were
assured access to schools and their parents had jobs, he said.

Clinton said he would submit the treaty to the U.S. Senate for ratification
soon after it was approved in Geneva. He said he had already directed the
U.S. government to ensure it did not purchase any products made by child
labour.

THE BANGKOK POST: ASEAN SLAMS ILO'S DECISION ON RANGOON

Thailand and other Asean members yesterday denounced the International
Labour Organisation's (ILO) decision on expelling Burma due to widespread
use of forced labour.

Thai Foreign Ministry spokesman Don Pramudwinai said that the Association
of Southeast Asian Nations disagreed with the resolution and defended that
Burma had tried to improve the situation and needed more time to comply
with the required convention.

The 174-member ILO in its annual meeting on Thursday resolved to expel
Burma and banned it from receiving aid or attending meetings until it halts
forced labour under the 1930 ILO treaty. The spokesman said the resolution
was issued so hurriedly that member states had no chance to scrutinise it.

Pressured by the international community, notably Western countries, in
recent years, the Burmese military junta on May 14 issued an order which
temporarily annulled the Town and Village Act of 1907 which had permitted
forced labour.

But the ILO insisted the amendment has not been implemented. The ILO
inquiry commission found last July that compulsory labour in Burma was
practised in a "systematic manner with a total disregard for the human
dignity, safety and health" of the people.

Mr Don cautioned that dissociating Burma from the outside world would cause
an adverse effect. Meanwhile, the Rangoon government deemed the ILO
resolution as "deplorable and unscrupulous" and was politically motivated
by Western nations.

AFP: AMNESTY CATALOGUES MYANMAR'S HUMAN RIGHTS ABUSES

LONDON, June 16 (AFP) - Human Rights watchdog Amnesty International on
Wednesday accused Myanmar's military government of a catalogue of abuses
including torture and forced labour. In its annual report released here,
Amnesty said hundreds of political prisoners remained in jail during the
past year, while hundreds more were arrested for political reasons.

"Political prisoners were tortured and ill treated, and held in conditions
that amounted to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment," the report said.

"Members of ethnic minorities continued to suffer human rights violations,
including extrajudicial executions, torture, ill treatment during forced
portering, and other forms of forced labour and forced relocations."

The report said six political prisoners were sentenced to death, but none
of the sentences was known to have been carried out so far.

Amnesty said first hand knowledge of rights violations was difficult to
collate due to strict censorship and restrictions on freedom of expression.

In its catalogue of abuses the group listed the severe limits on freedom of
movement placed on pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi, who led her party
to a landslide election victory in 1990 which the military government has
refused to accept.

Diplomats and observers in Myanmar say thousands of her National League for
Democracy members have been detained over the last year.

The detentions have been followed by mass resignations from the party,
proof according to the NLD of coercion by military intelligence.

The report also said there had been a lack of progress in ceasefire talks
between the government and remaining ethnic groups still fighting for
independence.

It said fighting continued between government forces and the Karen National
Union and the Karenni National Progressive Party and the Shan State Army in
the remote east of the country.

The government has been trying to arrange ceasefires with the country's
myriad ethnic groups but has been accused by some opponents of turning a
blind eye to narcotics production in exchange for peace.

Government officials were not immediately available to comment on the
Amnesty report.

Myanmar labours under a strict regime of sanctions imposed by mainly
Western nations protesting perceived human rights abuses.

Its human rights performance has soured relations between the European
Union and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations bloc, which admitted
Yangon in 1997.

THE ASIAN AGE: ANTI-JUNTA GROUP FORMED IN BURMA

Mae Sot (Thailand), June 16: Five of Burma's ethnic minorities still
fighting the country's military government have formed an alliance to
battle the junta, rebel leaders said on Wednesday. The announcement follows
claims of territorial gains by Shan rebels in fierce fighting with junta
forces in the jungled terrain near Burma's eastern border with Thailand.

The alliance agreement came during two days of meetings between ethnic
groups held on the Thai-Burma border, rebel leaders said.

"Now we have less forces than the military, less than 10 to one, so we must
cooperate, adapt our guerrilla techniques," said Colonel Yawd Suk,
commander the Shan State Army's southern region.

Yawd Suk said the alliance would cooperate in military affairs as well as
on political and intelligence issues in an effort to unify Myanmar's
struggling ethnic groups.

He said the five minority groups were the Karen National Union, who hosted
the meeting, the SSA, the Arakan Liberation Party, the Karenni National
Progressive Party and Chin National Front.

"We were planning to change our military and political strategy and that is
why we held the meeting," KNPP secretary-general Rimond Htoo said.

He said leaders of the rebels groups who had not yet agreed on cease-fires
with the junta agreed to cooperate.

Burma's junta has in recent years been trying to make peace with the
country's myriad ethnic rebel groups and has announced cease-fires with a
number of the rebel groups.

Htoo said an important breakthrough had been agreement on cooperation
between two groups fighting on the western border of Burma.

"These two guerrilla groups will step up military operations against
Myanmar government forces and set up lines of communication," he said.

KNU secretary-general Saw Ba Tein also at the meeting said his group was
still battling the junta at every opportunity it got.

Burma ethnic rebels on Monday claimed they had taken control of territory
around the former stronghold of drug czar Khun Sa close to the Thai border.

Yawd Suk said rebels under his command took territory in fighting with
junta troops around the town of Homong lying just inside Burma. The rebels
suffered several causalities, while 12 Burma troops were killed during the
fighting since mid-May, he said.

No independent confirmation of his claims was immediately available, but
Thai intelligence sources have reported heavy fighting between rebels and
junta troops in recent weeks.

Yawd Suk said there had been three major attacks since some 1,500 rebel's
troops surrounded Homong, occupied by 2,000 Myanmar soldiers. He also added
that the SSA was helped by 300 fighters from the KNPP. (AFP)

THE BANGKOK POST: FIGHTING IN PA'AN

AFP

Ethnic Karen rebels attacked Burmese government troops in the eastern
province of Pa-an, Thai military officers said yesterday. Details of the
fighting were sketchy, but rebels from the 6th Battalion of the Karen
National Union launched the attack on Thursday afternoon, said Thai
military officers who spoke on condition of anonymity. Paan, adjoining the
Thai province of Tak, is home to many Karen, the largest ethnic minority in
Burma.