CRPP and French Parliament

--------------08D9E56689172C9137EDE90D

INFO BIRMANIE received yesterday,  from the French Parliament, a letter
written by the Chairman of the Commission of Foreign Affairs.
Here is its (unofficial) translation. The Comité de soutien à Aung San
Suu kyi has been formed by NGOs (as Info Birmanie, France Libertés -
Fondation Danielle Mitterrand, Association Femmes et Développement, ICRA
International, Enfance & Partage, Alliance des Femmes pour la
Démocratie...) and personnalities (U Aung Ko, Ms Antoinette Fouque
EuroMP, Mr. Noël Mamère MP, Mr. Jean Paul Durieux MP, Mr. Israel
Halperin secretary of Campaigns for human rights CHR, Miss Christiane
Besse editor, Mr. Daniel Cattelain film director, Ms Martine Meffre
pianist, ambassador Stephane Hessel...).

********************************
Unofficial translation

REPUBLIC of FRANCE

FRENCH PARLIAMENT
The Chairman of the Foreign affairs commission

Paris, June 21th, 1999

To M. Hubert VEDRINE, Foreign affairs Minister of France

Dear Hubert.

The Comité de soutien à Aung San Suu Kyi contacted me on the matter of
the present  political deadlock in Burma, in spite of the readiness of
the NLD to begin a political dialogue.

Consequently, I am preparing to engage the French Parliament in an
action supporting the Burmese democrats, following the example of the
European, Swedish, Norvegian and Belgian Parliaments.

Could you please let me know your reaction and your commentaries. What
is the state about present diplomatic contacts between France and the
Burmese Junta ?

Dear Hubert
Best regards

Jack LANG

**************
FRENCH PARLIAMENT  The Chairman of the Foreign affairs commission

Paris, June 21th, 1999

To Farid GHEHIOUECHE (Info Birmanie) and Alan DELEFLIE (France Libertés
- Fondation
Danièlle MITTERRAND)
Comittee supporting Aung San Suu Kyi 14, passage Dubail  75010 Paris

Dear Sirs.

I received your letter dated may 20th ; thank you for this. I am happy
of the success of your intiative to create a Comity supporting Aung San
Suu Kyi.

The present situation in Burma preoccupies me a grat deal and I have
decided to give a positive answer to your legitimate appeal : the
involvement of the French National Assemblee in an action supporting the
Burmese democrats.

I refered to the Foreign affairs Minister of this important matter, in a
letter you will find enclosed.

Dear Sirs.  Best regards.. .

Jack LANG

Jack LANG --------------08D9E56689172C9137EDE90D--