A Big Picture of Burma-ASEAN slime

Subject: Re: A Big Picture of Burma-ASEAN slime

ASEAN slime
--------------------
by panyoma
27/6/99

It reminds me of an old Asian way of doing things that the way ASEN members
place themselves in projecting and agreeing on grouping's policies.

ASEAN grouping was set up originally to counter domino effect of communism
spreadind down south from China,North Korea and Vietnam.Drumed-up by the
the US and its allies as a necessity measure under the mask of economic
grouping.
It also can be transformed as a sizable military machine if needed be to
fight against communist intruders from the north same as Thai military and
south Korea helped US and allies during Vietnam war.

But it did not need to go that far. Domino theory of Communism in Asia was
contained and ASEAN Grouping was kept alive to these days.

US policy of post Vietnam war to develope economically to frontier
countries such as Thailand,south Korea,Taiwan and the rest of South East
Asin nations  to fend the communism off was implemented by massive
productions of cheap goods bought by US domestic markets and lower teriff
facilities.

The policy made success. GNP rockted and per capita income in those
countries risen dramatically and the goal of an iron rice bowl was somehow
achieved.

But it was an economic achievement only and there are more aspects as a
whole to make a proper society.Democratisation,Human rights,freedom of
expression, are some examples of ingredients that are lacking in our Asian
societies.This is what Asian leaders first of all must understand.No point
of branding them as Western concepts and pretend that we  Asians do not
need them and we have our Asian values.
But the thing is that these leaders including the architect of Asian
values,Lee kwan Yiu of Singapore, never had specified what exactly is the
Asian Values as it in universal declarations of Human Rights of UN
charter.They rule by decree that suits them is what Asian Values they are
talking about.That is why Asian societies are growing up as out of balance
rice eating machines with little or none experiences of individual freedom
and rights. It is very sad and we have to do something about it.

to be continued .....

The achievements have contined into three decades long until recent Asian
economic bust of unavoidable.