NEWS - Junta Still Battles for Hear (r)

Subject: Re: NEWS - Junta Still Battles for Hearts and Minds

--------------5A1B27A82AEC9B6AC6997DA5

The junta is in trouble now more than ever and they know it. They can and they
will do what ever they want to do, such as build bridges, widen roads and
clean
up pagodas. These actions will not help because the problem is not, what
they do
or do not do the problem is "them". The people do not like them and the people
do not want them. The sooner they accept this and find a way to get themselves
out of the picture the better off they will be. If they are smart they will do
it soon and re-establish the military as defenders of the people and not its
oppressors.

Rangoon Post Co-Editor wrote:

> Junta Still Battles for Hearts and Minds
>
>                Inter Press Service
>                08-JUL-99
>
>                RANGOON, (Jul. 8) IPS - Burma's military regime, over a
>                period of just a week, announced the completion of a
> handful
>                of bridges, the inauguration of a dam and a hospital, the
>                opening of a highway and the renovation of its most
> famous
>                pagoda.
>
>                In billboards along Rangoon's wide, tree-lined avenues,
> the
>                junta proclaims the stability of the state and national
>                reconsolidation as among its political goals.
>
>                Daily, on the front page of its English newspaper, The
> New
>                Light of Myanmar, the state enumerates its political,
>                economic and social objectives in such clarity so that
> the
>                Burmese people will not forget them.
>
>                The military government, in power for more than 10 years
>                after crushing a popular uprising in 1988, is still
> working to
>                win the hearts and minds of its people.
>
>                "Oppose those relying on external elements, acting as
>                stooges, holding negative views," screams one slogan in
> one

>                of the inside pages of the newspaper.
>
>                "Crush all internal and external destructive elements as
> the
>                common enemy," and "Oppose foreign nations interfering in
>                internal affairs of the state," say two other slogans.
>
>                The junta, known as the State Peace and Development
>                Council (SPDC), urges the Burmese people to cooperate
>                with the government and the "tatmadaw" or the military.
> At
>                the same time, it exhorts them to oppose the "evil"
> designs of
>                foreign countries, the United States in particular.
>
>                In a half-page article in one of the newspaper's Sunday
>                editions last month, an author slammed opposition leader
>                Aung San Suu Kyi as a puppet of the United States and
>                Britain, which "are pushing the world into chaos".
>
>                The Burmese regime was given a semblance of legitimacy
>                when the Association of South-east Asian Nations (ASEAN)
>                admitted it as member in 1997 despite some reservations
>
> by
>                some members and strong opposition from Western
>                governments and human rights groups and activists in
> Asia.
>
>                But ASEAN's approach of non-interference and policy of
>                "constructive engagement" has failed to nudge the junta
> into
>                improving the human rights situation and allowing greater
>                freedom for its people.
>
>                The government has remained adamant in refusing to open
>                a dialogue with the opposition led by Suu Kyi to settle
> the
>                political stalemate in Burma.
>
>                Observers say the junta has in fact become more
> repressive,
> [...]

begin:          vcard
fn:             Richard Myint
n:              Myint;Richard
org:            Myint Family
adr;dom:        31349 Santa Cruz Way;;;Union City;CA;94587;
email;internet: ramyint@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;home:       510-429-8442
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE